I love my children. I worry quite often about something happening to one of them, losing one of them. What would I do? Today we had a baby shower at the church for my darling friend Jillian. As we were leaving, I noticed Molly wasn't with the other kids. I had seen her not a minute before. We had gone to the bathroom, come back to the others, I handed her the orange juice to carry, and we headed out to the car. I wasn't terribly concerned at first. She likes to play hide and seek. Surely she was somewhere in the empty church and I would hear her laughing.
After about 10 minutes, I found my heart wanting to panic and my brain not quite sure what to think. My sweet, sweet friends Jillian and Patricia (who I will be eternally grateful for after today) stayed with me. They looked at the church, checking every room, while I walked around outside, calling frantically for her. Every time I would turn a corner, expecting to see her, I would panic more when I didn't. I felt like I was in a haze. Things seemed more silent, slower, without her there. I had friends at home making calls, coming back to the church to help, petitioning the Lord. I love my friends. I love these people who love my children like I do, who help to relieve my hurt and worry.
I went to the school which is just across the street in the hopes that she had gone out and thought she would try to find her brother and sisters. By the time I got into the office and was speaking with the principal, I was completely panicked. Coherent enough to describe her and her outfit, her hair, her shoes, but terrified and not hiding it very well. The principal immediately started looking while the secretary made an announcemant over the loud-speaker. I think hearing that is what sent me in a tailspin. I was helpless. Had she wandered off trying to find her way home? Had someone found her and taken her? Had she been hurt? I called sweet Dave. I needed to hear his voice. I needed him there. He left work immediately. He got to us in record time.
As soon as I got back to the church, Patricia recommended 2 things...a prayer and calling 911. Call 911? Was this even really happening? A cop friend from the ward called me shortly thereafter, telling me help was on the way, asking me for details. Who had seen her last and where? What was she wearing? All while I'm wondering...How could this be real? Where was Molly? Several men from the ward had shown up for one reason or another, and other random people. Everyone was looking. Driving up and down the street, calling her name through the church.
As I was talking with the police on the phone, I heard someone say, "They found her". 12:57pm. I was elated. I ran in to make sure it was really Molly. It was. Patricia was hugging her, holding her tight, as emotional as I was. Molly on the other hand was not. She was happy. She had been playing hide and seek for the last 30 minutes. I was hysterical. So happy to see her and touch her, but also dealing with the emotions of this being a game to her. 30 minutes. Hiding. Completely silent. In the Relief Society room, under some chairs where ALL of us had already looked...several times. I was overcome with emotion. Actually, I'm still trying to process all of this. I love my friends and my ward family. They dropped whatever they were doing to help me and comfort me. I'm not quite sure how to approach this with Molly. I don't want her to think she was naughty, but I want her to know I was scared. I put her down for her nap, then heard her talking. I peeked inside to find her "reading" a birthday card to her baby, saying...don't EVER run away. :) She knows I was worried. She knows I was sad. I've gotten several special, little, soft kisses on the cheek. I love her and I am so glad she is mine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



14 comments:
I am so happy she is safe and taking a nap. this made me tear up. I don't know what I would have done. sorry i wasn'there. So glad she is just a funny little girl who thinks it is funny to hide from her mommy and nothing bad happened. Hope your day gets better.
Oh Amy, I am SO sorry you had to go through this - I was panicked just reading that. Awful. You are an amazing mother. Your comment about my 'sophisticated' life made me smile - it isn't, and no life in my opinion is more special and important than that which involves the honour of motherhood. It is my biggest dream to be a mother one day, and if I am blessed enough then I hope to be a mother like you.
So so glad that Molly is safe at home and that you are receiving those precious kisses!
PS: If I could I would send you a LeNotre cake, but I fear it wouldn't survive the journey!
PPS: If you get a moment would you mind telling me what a ward is? I would truly love to know. I wonder whether it is your church community or an organised community...
Oh, Amy, I'm sorry my baby shower had to be so memorable for you. I'm glad Molly finally decided to stop hiding and came and found us. That was a good hiding spot she had. I hope you're feeling better.
oh Amy. my heart is beating SO fast right now. wow. I can't imagine. I am still trying to process... put myself in your shoes. I can't imagine. I am so very thankful that you have great friends that were there to help you. Maybe you can tell her that hide and seek is only a game played inside the house and NO WHERE ELSE :)
love you. love your little girl. Glad that you are both safe and at home.
Wowsers... glad that one is over. Glad you are a super good Mommy. Love that Molly girl.
I felt panicky in the time it took me to find those keys, get Emma's bottle and call my mom to tell her where I'd be..."hurry, hurry" racing through my head. I can only imagine how you felt, how that time probably dragged on and the helplessness you felt. I'm so sorry you experienced that! We all love that sweet, spunky little girl. How sweet it was to see her (smiling, of all things!) in her daddy's arms today!
oh i would have been freaking out!! and i know the feeling of wanting to punish them, but also being so grateful they are okay. i'm glad it all turned out and i love that you have so many people who love you and are willing to help you.
It made my heart beat faster just READING that - I can't imagine what it must have been like for you! I'm so glad you found her and that everything turned out ok.
Wow. 30 minutes. We once lost Riley for about 10 and I was so crazy. Couldn't even think straight. So glad she's ok.
I cried too. I cried because I know that feeling. Willow went to play at a neighbors house in Utah once. We didn't think to check because they don't even have kids! I bet that one will be told around the table for years to come... "remember the time Molly hid in the church"... and you will all laugh at what a basket case mom was...
every parent's worse nightmare. i feel for you. the church is such a big place to start with....with soooo many rooms...and I hate when they don't answer when you call. not only is it scary...it is a lot of work scouring the church!
glad it ended with safety and hugs...and maybe Molly needs a little hide and seek warning when Mommy is 'all done playing'!
I feel so bad for you! It's happened to me before too (maybe not that long!!! that's a killer!) and I had to call 911...so embarassing and awful and icky.
I wish she would have hidden in MY classroom. I would have taken very good care of her.
I also would have given her a snack, a drink, and a big hug.
I'm so sorry you had to go through this. I think every mother can relate.
Oh Amy. I remember being scared and I remember thinking she was hiding. Crazy baby. Crazy and fantastic all at the same time. I love you.
Post a Comment