Thursday, January 15, 2009

cumorah...

A major trip down memory lane last night. I have a storage box full of pictures. Random pictures. I was going through it the other day looking for some pictures for my sister-in-law, and was reminded what a disaster it was. I couldn't find anything! There were pictures from when I was a kid, and college through the first year of marriage. They were out of envelopes, mixed up and it made me crazy. The rest of my photos are easy to find, but these were a joke. Last night I organized. It felt great.

I stumbled across these beauties. I wish I could express just how happy they made me. These are from The Hill Cumorah Pageant the last year that we went (1994). I was in it from 1989-1994. 4 times with my family, twice by myself. Some of the most amazing experiences of my life happened here. It's a hugely important place. The place where Joseph Smith received the plates. I received many confirmations here that helped me to form my testimony. I grew to love my family more, to appreciate my parents more, to understand the church more.


This last year, we got some great parts. Generally we were all part of mob scenes (all the while chanting the mantra..."proud to be crowd") until now. Mom was still proud :), I can't quite figure out what Dad was, Rachel was a battle banner carrier (after telling the casting directors she was a weight-lifter), Laura was a slave dancer for King Noah, and Tracy and I were harvest dancers. We felt pretty cool and worked ourselves to the bone! We teased Rachel relentlessly that she looked like a Flintstone...what do you think? :)

Some day I will have to put more memories of this place down on paper. I love it. I love the feelings that I have there. But today, I'm just going to giggle at these fantastic pictures!

12 comments:

O family said...

these pictures are so funny! However, I doubt that Tracy will love the last one :)

emlizalmo said...

You're right. I really debated putting it on there. It makes me laugh so hard, but maybe a bit too much. :) Sorry folks, you missed out!

Anonymous said...

Amy! What a coincidence... We need your help! It's Carey. I am at Mom's house trying to help her get organized. We just saved everything from her incredibly slow and impossible desktop (the link to your blog is on her desktop) to an external hard drive which she will take to Florida. I also have been tackling her photos (from when she and your dad were children). I have no idea where to start. We are vascilating between dividing pictures by person,chronologically, by size of the photo...what did you do??

Anonymous said...

btw, love the photos! It a dream of mine to be in Pageant again someday! You guys inspired me!

Carey

mj said...

Guess what? These made me cry. What a sentimental boob I am. Some of my most precious memories were made here. How grateful I am that we had this marvelous opportunity as a family.Can't wait to see what else you found.

mj said...

PS Isn't that the skirt Laura got caught in the metal grids of the stage? I laugh every time I hear her tell that story.

emlizalmo said...

She used to pray every night that she would not get caught. She was so worried. Must be my sister. :)

Lisa said...

I know nothing of that story. Laura got her skirt stuck??? It does sound possible. :-) Pageant was good. Mom's dress looks like the one I wore last year. Kind of a purplish-red and hey, I was proud to be crowd.

MommyMert said...

I hope to go there someday, I hear nothing but wonderful experiences that have come from this pagent. I love looking at pictures with your sisters. You really see the bond and love you all share.

brittany said...

these pictures are totally cracking me up, but what a great experience for you guys.

April Kennedy said...

I love those pictures. And look at Laura in her worldly dress as opposed to you harvest dancers! We never made it the pageant while we were on the East Coast. We never made it to New York either. 2 of 3 of our regrets while out there.

The third was not going to the Bahamas while on that side of the country!

MommyMert said...

http://dubsdrivel.wordpress.com/
(thought you might want to read this.)