Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Molly's week...and it's just the beginning

First, let me share a prayer she gave Monday night, while we all tried so hard not to laugh. I'll try to say it in her language :) :

Hevly Father...Fankly foy this nice byooful day. Fankly foy....(hmmm...thinking)...all of our sins (here is where we start to laugh). Help us don't jump down the stairs. Help us don't laugh in the prayer (more suppressed laughter). Name uh Juh Frice, amen.

Oh man, I wish I had recorded it or something. She is so sweet. She hears the prayers of her brother and sisters, then she tries to mimic them. They get a little jumbled sometimes...like when she mixed blessing her cousin David in Iraq and Grandma, and asked that Grandma Bird would get to go to the war. So, so cute.

Second...the little squirt is potty trained. I'm not even sure how it happened, but she has gone 3 days with no diaper. NO diaper, not even at naptime or through the night. No accidents. I am thrilled. As you can see, from the fact that she is 3 years old, I am never in any hurry to train them. They train themselves. I'm convinved of that. And when they do, they don't need pull-ups or diapers at night until they're 5. I pulled out all the old panties from Emily and Lizzy. That may seem gross to you, oh well. She loves them. Scooby Doo, Dora, Barbie, Pooh Bear. All of them in Macey's grocery bags and slung over her shoulder like a pocketbook (who really says pocketbook anymore? My mom, and it makes me laugh). Yay Molly.

Lastly, after seeing her baby sister yesterday, she spent a lot of time crying and telling me she was cold. I figured she was tired because she had been jipped a nap. She fell asleep in the middle of the living room. Something wasn't right. I put her in her bed, got her up for dinner, she was off. She was lethargic (something Molly is NEVER), flushed, whining. Dave had YM at 6 and wouldn't be home until 10. At 6:05, she erupted and cried. This poor little girl has never thrown up. Aside from spit-up as a baby. (Emily and Alex are my pukers...Lizzy only has 2-3 times, and Molly never until now) Here's what Molly had to eat yesterday, which was now all over her bed and her carpet...spaghetti with RED sauce, pomegranate 7-up, and twizzlers. HELP. I rushed her to the tub...oh yeah, we have no hot water in the tub. I panicked a bit, then used a cup to transfer hot water from the sink to the tub. She was shivering and I was stressed and sad. I asked Alex to keep an eye on her while I ran downstairs to start the laundry and hopefully eliminate the stains before they set. Came back up, she had peed in the tub (OK...so maybe she has had ONE accident). I am 409ing the sink when my cute friend Kristin shows up. I ask her what I should do, bath her in the pee water, or try to fill it with sink water again? I empty the tub, and turn on the sink. There is zilcho water pressure because the washer is running. With a little trickle like that, it will take me 6 minutes just to fill the cup. I'm overwhelmed. Kristin and I start to laugh and I feel so much better. :) I am so grateful for sweet friends and laughter. Molly sits like a wadded up ball in the bathroom sink for a few minutes while I try to scrub her carpet, then she gets a barely lukewarm bath, gets in warm jammies and we cuddle...all before American Idol. She had another bout with the pukes before bed. In a bag this time. She actually fell asleep on the couch gripping that bag under her chin. Sad, sad baby. She still isn't feeling well today. Gosh I love her. Gosh I hate when they are sick.

Here's to our week getting better!

12 comments:

O family said...

Poor Miss Molly! I am glad that you were able to relax and even laugh a little bit about the situation. Hope Molly feels better. oh, and why no warm water in the tub?

Michelle said...

Listen, I can't believe we talked on the phone today and you didn't tell me that you're having a girl. I'm going to let it slide because Molly has been sick and you were stressed about tonight, but seriously...

P.S. I'm so happy for you and the potty training. I hope I can be as patient.

Christina & Andrew said...

Wow, that's intense!! I'm sorry about my poor little girl being sick, but I'm SO glad she's potty trained! I'm all about waiting until they're ready, too.. it just works=) Hope your week just gets better from here.

Rachel said...

I agree with you 100 percent that they train themselves...when they're ready. We bought Ethan a potty system and are just letting him play with it right now...then see when he's interested. So sorry you went through that stress...my heart beat a bit faster going through the motions for you. So glad you got to relax for American Idol. Hope that doll gets feeling better...let me know if I can do ANYTHING for you. I'll stop commenting now... :)

MommyMert said...

Yea for Molly potty training and sweet sweet prayers, so sorry about the sick thing. I think it came from nursery. Jake got sick last night too. hmm... (I wont tell you... or I will... that one of the Dads at church mentioned his kid had been sick, but he woke up feeling better so he brought him. hmm...looks like he wasnt better.)

Lady said...

Oh Amy - I am so sorry that Molly had to throw up. My kids don't throw up much either. When I delivered Piper - my kids were home throwing up and my poor Dad was cleaning it all up. They hadn't thrown up in years and poor MacGregor was totally traumatized. He now has a phobia. I hope all the red comes out - It makes you want to put your kids on clear food diets!!! I'll be sending good healing thoughts your way this week.

mj said...

What an experience for both you and Molly.I had to laugh at your descriptions tho.Glad your friend was there.

Jillian said...

Yay for being potty trained! I haven't wanted to push Grace with it, but I'm not too excited about having two in diapers either.

If Grace hasn't gotten sick yet does that mean we're clear? Hope so. She hasn't thrown up in so long ...

April Kennedy said...

Loved the prayer! We have had a few funny ones ourself...but mostly from Daddy!

Potty training is so much easier when they are ready. Congrats on that!

And red puke...gross and happened to us right after we got brand new carpet. Except I thought Blake was dead, because he was laying on his back, sound asleep with red puke (but what I thought was blood) everywhere around him. I heard him throw up, but thought he had thrown up blood. Then Dave came in after I yelled for him and calmly stated, "red cupcake frosting". Phew! ( I should probably post that story some day for memory purposes!)

Hope she is feeling better real soon. Throwing up is never fun...especially when you are young and don't understand what is going on.

brittany said...

Looks like Stella and Miss Molly are on the same potty train yourself schedule, I LOVE it, although we do still wear a diaper at bedtime just in case (she sleeps in the same bed as lily and that would be no fun in the wee hours of the morning).

I am hoping she feels better today, it is always so sad when they are sick. You did a great job of documenting it and making the experience seem real. I'm glad you had AI to unwind with that night, it can be so very stressful when kids are sick.

Melissa Yergensen said...

Yay for potty training ... you go Molly! I love it when they just decide to do it, it makes it so much easier.
And what is it with red food and throwing up? I actually still have a stain in M's bedroom carpet from twizzlers, oh well. When I see it I try to trick my head I tell myself she must have dropped a red marker and then I don't get as sick to my stomach. :)

Kristin said...

Congrats on the potty training!!!
I firmly believe that 3 is the magic number. But that's just me.

Saw the plumber truck outside while dropping alex off-hope you have hot water in abundance now. The things we take for granted until we don't have them anymore . . .