We drove about 30 minutes to Rehoboth on Thursday night. Ocean City, MD was the other direction and not quite as family friendly. The kids are usually bouncing with excitement, and actually lots of the adults are too. As soon as you find a parking spot (good luck with that) you can hear the sounds. Lots of noise. People, rides, seagulls. Seagulls everywhere this year. Suicidal ones, swooping at your head. Didn't really dig that, although in general, the sound of them soothes me...it's part of the beach experience.
Wednesday, August 13, 2008
boardwalk time!
Just a heads-up...there are an AWFUL lot of pictures in this post. I mean, it's the boardwalk...what can you expect? I love it so much and I need to remember details...all of them...the sights, the sounds, the tastes (Thrashers fries with gobs of salt and malt vinegar, funnel cakes...I actually have the shakes right now thinking about them...I need some!).
We drove about 30 minutes to Rehoboth on Thursday night. Ocean City, MD was the other direction and not quite as family friendly. The kids are usually bouncing with excitement, and actually lots of the adults are too. As soon as you find a parking spot (good luck with that) you can hear the sounds. Lots of noise. People, rides, seagulls. Seagulls everywhere this year. Suicidal ones, swooping at your head. Didn't really dig that, although in general, the sound of them soothes me...it's part of the beach experience.
Anxious Alex...c'mon guys, let's go! This year, I decided to chill a little and let Alex go off with his cousin Matthew and Dave (I said a LITTLE). They did the haunted house and other "big kid" stuff and Alex was over the moon.
Elsie and daddy Gunnar.
I love this picture so much. This is what I envision when I think of the boardwalk. Dolles...the best salt water taffy, right people? I am generally behind the group. Counting heads mostly. I can remember the boardwalk at Seaside Heights, NJ as a kid. 8, 9 years old...and counting. I was desperately afraid we would lose Rachel. She was curious and would wander just a bit and it would send me in a tailspin. As a mom, I'm even worse. Here's the thing...you lose a kid here...I'm not exactly sure how you would get them back. SO many people. Everywhere. The ocean, cars, hotels. Help...my heart is starting to race. Several times during the night Rachel or Christy or someone would take my girls, I would forget, and panic. Where's Emily? Where's Lizzy? I know I was possibly quite annoying to my family. :(
The Gehrings...love them.


Grandpa came down this year. I could NOT believe it! The chaos, the lack of order, the noise, I thought we'd have to admit him afterwards. You know what though...he did great! He loved watching the kids, taking pictures. They loved having him there too. Can you tell?
Annie and Rachel. Annie came back to Utah with us...the kids are thrilled...and we're having a great time!
Would you believe these 2 are my niece and nephew? They go with Caroline...the 2nd oldest. I love them so much. I really, really enjoyed getting to hang out with them this year. Rich is the kid magnet. I'm not kidding. They love the guy.


Caroline paid for each of the grandkids to play some "throw the ball and win a prize every time" game. It was so cool of her. They loved it...and like I said...a prize every time!

Her first time on the merry-go-round. Can you tell that she loved it? Didn't hurt that her best buddy Christy went with her. How have we survived all summer w/o that girl?


OK...see what I mean about the crowds? Heaven help me...my heart is starting to race again...I'll be back in a second.
My brother Joe (cool dude) and my sister Lisa's daughter Christy. I got to spend a lot of time with Joe this time around. He is a pediatric cardiologist, a father of 4 great boys. I love him. I am so proud that he is related to me. We got to be together for most of the day Saturday when I photographed the wedding. I am so grateful for that time I had with him. More time than I've had in years. It reminded me how much I love and admire him and how freaking hilarious he is!
We drove about 30 minutes to Rehoboth on Thursday night. Ocean City, MD was the other direction and not quite as family friendly. The kids are usually bouncing with excitement, and actually lots of the adults are too. As soon as you find a parking spot (good luck with that) you can hear the sounds. Lots of noise. People, rides, seagulls. Seagulls everywhere this year. Suicidal ones, swooping at your head. Didn't really dig that, although in general, the sound of them soothes me...it's part of the beach experience.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



8 comments:
These made my day. The highlight was dad coming down, I had faith in him all along. I bet he'll come every time now. Our younger girls had the time of their lives.
I would love to go. It looks so great. So fun. Such great memories and I was with you til the end. Loved every picture, read every word. MORE!
I don't think I've ever experienced anything like that! What a seriously cool place! And the pics are so awesome ... and yes, very very crowded! Now I can see what you were talking about!
That was great--albeit a little hard on the hungry, night-time belly--the food sounds so good! It all just looks like fun. Though crowded for sure---I totally get why you were counting.
I'm so glad your kids are able to experience the boardwalk. It really is such a fun, exciting place! It brings back soooo many great memories with our family. And amy, I was proud of how relaxed you were this year!! You were awesome=)
Amy I love your blog you are so descriptive and it paints a picture for you I can almost smell the ocean and the salt water taffy, the pictures are wonderful and so real to life-unposed. love it.c
Did you have any Grotto's Pizza with pitchers of birch beer to go with your Dolly's? I can smell the funnel cakes... I really can!!
Great,great blog !!! Isn't the boardwalk the greatest? Like you, I can almost hear,taste, smell and feel it. Oh yes, no boardwalk experience is complete without at least one "lost child" panic attack.
Post a Comment