Friday, April 18, 2008

spring break...woohoo!

Who would have thought that an overnight trip to SLC could be so full? Thanks for the great idea Michelle. Like I said earlier, I wanted spring break this year to be slightly memorable. I wanted some quality time with my little family. Guess what...you don't have to go do Disneyland to get it...although that IS on our list for next year. The kids had been asking me for 3 days if they could pack yet. We had a blast. Happy kids. Here's the low-down:

We stopped by the Pioneer Museum while driving around looking for a bathroom. I have to admit, I wasn't real excited about this one. But, the kids loved it. The sweet ladies over there gave them all a scavenger hunt, and would you believe it...they found it all AND had a great time?
An amazing refurbished firetruck. It was gorgeous...and firetrucks don't tend to impress me.

After that, we headed over to the conference center. The kids had never been there, and I wanted them to see where General Coference takes place and where the prophet speaks to us. This is just outside, by the fountains. Nothing special, I just thought it was cute of Emily.

This is Lizzy, same place, 5 seconds later. It really was this cold and windy. Her poor face says it all. It looked SO much nicer than it felt. Oh well.

Harry was our tourguide. He was a gem. I wanted to hug him...but didn't. He had so much information to share with us about all the treasures in the center. That place is full of treasures. If we look a little off in this picture...we are. It's taken in a mirror a couple floors up. Sweet Molly sat in her stroller like that for the whole trip. I love her for it. She missed her nap both days, but somehow managed to hold it together. I was so happy.

Thursday we were off to Sweets candy factory. Dave had a friend who worked there and was able to take us on a tour. Quite the popular thing, I guess. The place was packed. It was actually really fun. We told the kids it was like Willy Wonka's. Well...it was a stretch, but close enough. We had to wear hair nets. Who doesn't love hair nets? We made off with gobs of candy, namely salt water taffy (juicy pear = heaven). :)

Hoogle zoo was next on the list. We met my niece and her "friend" Bryce there. It was FUN, FUN, but frigid. No jackets either. Oh well, we pushed through it and had a great time. The train ride was our first stop. Dang that is one short ride. Worth every penny, I guess, since it was only a buck.
Molly WOULD NOT look at the camera. Look at that sassy little thing.

She loved the penguins though. We all did. I think they may be my favorite part of the zoo. They are funny...and don't even realize it. Plus they are outside = NO STINK. I could seriously have vomited when we went into the reptile/bird/whatever area. Whew. It hit me right in the face...I had to keep sniffing my map.

Alex waited ALL day to go to the little play area. I think all he really wanted was to go in the burrow. Was it worth it bud? He says yes.

Lastly the elephants. They have some new (or new to ME) elephant thingy you can climb on. When you sit on the trunk, it toots and honks and plays music. Interesting and funny. Christy WAS NOT going to be left out!


We are really tired today, but man, did we have fun. I think my favorite part of all was staying in the hotel. Once we got Molly to sleep, we all cozied up and watched AI together. I kept looking over at the kids on their bed and smiling. They were so happy. Giddy. I wish I could capture that feeling in a bottle. I love them so much.

13 comments:

mj said...

It sounds like you had a blast. Isn't it wonderful how the children get excited over the smallest things? I guess we could all learn something from that.

brittany said...

it sounds like such a fun trip!! i love that your kids were so excited. cute shoes on the twins by the way. and i was cracking up at the sassy picture of molly. that girl is to die for.

MommyMert said...

What a great time! This makes me want to do it too! Great memories for the family!

Lady said...

Sometimes those are the best vacations - the ones close to home. They so much less stressful without loads to pack and travel/flight delays. Last year during our spring break, which is only a Friday and Monday mind you, We went to the Franklin institute in Philadelphia on Friday. Then we met some family in Newark for dinner as we headed to Baltimore. We spent the night in a hotel in Baltimore and went to Port Discovery, a HUGE childrens museum, and played all day. It was awesome and all within an hour and half from home! Glad you had so much fun. Although I felt a little suffocated looking at Alex in that burrow.

Michelle said...

I remember being 8, and I remember that trip to Salt Lake. As simple as is sounds, I remember almost everything we did. It's like we discovered a city so close, and staying in a hotel, as a kid is DIVINE. I remember all three of us older kids in one bed, and it was the first (and probably last) time we were THRILLED to share.

O family said...

it looks like you guys had so much fun and did a lot of fun things. Mini trips are the best because you can do alot and not spend major $$!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

hi Amy, it's Brittney's little sister, Brinn. You have a beautiful family, your daughters are so pretty and your little boy is adorable! I am living in Provo now and wanted to see if you would be willing and able to take some photos of Emma for me. She will be 1 yrs old on the 30th and I wanted some nice photos. Please let me know your fee and if you are interested. My phone number is (406) 270-8568 or comment on my blog: www.kentandbrinn.com. thanks!!

Kristin said...

How fun!! Alex was telling us you guys were going to spend the night in SLake when I saw him last--he was so excited. Very cute. I love all the pictures--you are amazing. Every picture you take is great.

Kimo said...

What a fun idea! Looks like you guys had a blast! I remember that elephant from my last visit to Hogle Zoo (two years ago now - wow, time flies!) In the summer (when it is hot out - not frigid) the elephant sprays water out of its trunk after the music stops playing - a fun way to cool off.

laurag said...

Amy, I love these pictures and love even more how much fun you guys all had on your vacation, and yes it's a legit vacation...who cares if it was only an hour away. You stayed at a hotel ate out and did lots of fun things. That is something your kids will remember. I'm so glad to hear they each had a great time, and that molly did so well w/o naps. It's so refreshing to know our children will have wonderful memories when they're older even with only $100 spent.

laurag said...

p.s. I LOVE your front family picture. I hope that thing is enlarged, framed and hanging on your wall.

Sharene said...

That sounds so fun! My husband's uncles family go up to SLC once a year and stay in a hotel. The kids look forward to it every year! I want to do it with our family some day!