He speaks to me. He is calming. I was so interested to hear what he had to say. What he said was truly inspired. He spoke to young mothers...that's me. Lately, I have felt tired. Worn out. Not totally validated. A stay -at-home mothers work is hard, no matter what the world says. It's hard. Elder Ballard seemed to be speaking directly for the Lord. He thanked us (ALL of us...members and not) for all that we do. He acknowledged how difficult it can be. He basically rejuvinated me. He spoke directly to our husbands AND our children. He told them to thank us, be kind to us, clean up after yourself. We'll be watching this again tonight (I'll add a link as soon as it gets posted). He was worth waiting for. I am so grateful for his tenderness, his willingness to listen to the spirit. I was deeply moved.On Friday night, I was looking in my journal for something. I started to read from a few years ago. There isn't much there. I realized that the last time I wrote was a few days after Molly was born. I looked for stuff on my older 3. Very little. I didn't write about my wedding, the births of my 3 older children, my friends. I panicked. I was craving some information about my little family. I needed details. They weren't there. I realized that I can't remember everything. I was scared of losing memories, smells, images. SO...I am changing my ways. I am becoming a journal writer. On Saturaday, I went to the bookstore and bought a gorgeous 25$ leather journal. The perfect size. The perfect color. I love it. I have written in it several times already. Yesterday in Elder Ballard's talk, he quoted Anna Quindlen:
"...but the biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make while doing this. I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of the three on them sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages 6, 4, and 1. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in a hurry to get on to the next things: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less."
I have loved that quote for some time, but it screamed out at me yesterday. I need to slow down, enjoy, savor, and write.



6 comments:
oh Amy. How similiar I think we are. I find myself stressing out over laundry. why? Will the world end if Dan doesn't have a full drawer for the next day?? no, he will be ok. He would never complain and I am the one that creates all of these superficial and extremely tough deadlines for myself. I make lists daily and get disappointed if I don't finish them... I have recently made a point to add "have family time" to the top of my lists because I would always get caught up with task after task. Now when I look at my list I can physically see that family (at the top) is more important than a warm dinner, baths, laundry or any of my billion classes. I don't know how you do it with 4 kids. I am a spaz with only 1!! I love that quote. I think about it a lot like how I want to fully remember this time when I am older. I don't want to lose any of it. Do you know that I only have one picture when I was pregnant and you can see my tummy? How depressing is that!?! I felt ugly and not I am SO MAD at myself. :) Sorry that I am writing almost as long of a comment as your whole entry but your posting spoke to me :)
Eloquently written... :) I also feel this talk was for me. I guess thats why we are friends. You should ask family if they have emails or letters you wrote about the kids. Maybe they might have some not so traditional "journaling" you could have. Dunno.. just an idea.
Thank you so much for this post Amy! It touched me. I too loved what I was able to hear of Elder Ballard's talk. (no kids sleeping morning or afternoon) I also felt he was speaking to me. And to all my sisters who are in this thing we call motherhood.
Good luck with the journaling--I understand those feelings so much. Before I got married, it would take me, on average, about 9 months to finish a journal. Now, I have finished two journals since I have been married. Two in almost 10 years. How has 10 years gone so fast?? It is amazing.
I needed that quote --What a perspective. I pray I can remember that tonight. Tomorrow. And on and on. I also really appeciated the perspective he gave when he talked about the percentages in our lives. That really struck me as WOW.
As someone who is becoming a mom soon, that talk was definitely inspiring! It made me feel, for once, like I was ready for the challenge.
I can totally feel where you are coming from! After hearing Elder Ballard's talk I couldn't help but cry a little, ok alot. It was one of the most comforting talks I've heard in a long time. I need that and felt as if he was taliking to me too.
Also I was able to listen to that afternoon conferences better too, because of curtis' naps! And I love your picture of your family on your blog!
The talk was wonderful.How blessed we are to be able to listen to these inspired men.You are so right about not being able to remember some of the things we thought we would never forget.I am thankful for pictures tho.I wish I had read Ann Quillin's thoughts when I was a young Mom. I hope you are really going to keep up with your journal. What a wonderful thing to be able to go back and read and to share with your childsren.
Post a Comment