Wednesday, November 9, 2011

9th day of gratitude...

Today I am thankful for a washing machine. Let me take you through what got me to this today. I came home from a run, outside, in 20 degree frostiness, longing for a soak in the tub. The HOT tub. As I was trying to enjoy the lukewarm water, since all the hot was taken by Alex and Dave and their showers, I thought of Caroline Ingalls. Dave asked me if I wanted him to boil some water. I realized that every time they needed a bath,  to wash clothes, to clean dishes...she had to boil water. No tap with warm water coming out.


I don't know how well I would have done in those days. I could certainly never go there after being here. I guess they never knew what they were missing. I just can't imagine trying to line dry clothes in the dead of winter. I can't imagine having to scrub every article of clothing on a washboard. I really can't. I complain about the massive amounts of laundry around here a lot. The thing is...I have a machine that does most of it. I have a healthy family to wash clothes FOR. I just need to accept the fact that 7 people make a lot of dirty clothes. There will always be a pile. A big one. And all I have to do is open a lid, push a button, and throw them in. 

3 comments:

Kris Tina said...

good good stuff. Let's face it - without a washer I wouldn't clean half the clothes that I should.

And a nice hot bath sounds so nice right now. So nice.

mj said...

I think about those blessings almost every time I wash.It was awful not having a dryer until we moved to Washington. Sometimes the sheets,towels, and diapers would freeze stiff.Yuky

Rachel said...

I can't even imagine life without instant hot water and machines to do my dirty work. It's a great blessing.