Monday, November 14, 2011
#14...
It's possible that this may look like a pile of junk to you. To me, it is a pile of treasures. Today I am thankful that my mom saved so many amazingly precious, invaluable things. It's funny, I love to watch Antiques Roadshow. LOVE it. I am always blown away at how some things, hundreds of years old, are only worth a few hundred dollars. I think "old" things are tangible history. I love to be able to touch and feel something that has been around for a century or more. I don't really understand how there can be a pricetag attached.
When those items are from my family, my own personal history, I treasure them. My mom has saved a LOT of stuff. Her family and my dad's are both rooted in the east (Pennsylvania and West Virginia), so their stuff has been around for awhile. My mom's house is filled with history. Every nook and cranny has something wonderful. Furniture from generations ago. Toys, watches, pictures, decor. Every Christmas, my mom gives us one of her treasures. I gasp every time I open one. Some I recognize, others need an explanation. I have a necklace made of my Grandmother's china. A camera that belonged to my mom's uncle.
The teddy bear in this picture is made from my Grandmother's mink. You can even see the D and the L on it's feet. Did (Elizabeth) Lilley. The Pinnichio doll was my dad's when he was a tiny boy. Same with the 3 pigs. I remember seeing them displayed in my parent's house years ago and mentioning how much I love them. That Christmas, they were in a beautifully wrapped box under my tree. The bride and groom were my mom's dolls when she was a little girl. The pitcher is full of spoons from many generations. Baby spoons. One of them is from my Great Grandmother. Can you believe my mom saved all of this? Isn't it wonderful. I love it so much. The tin behind the bride and groom dolls was my Grandmother's. It used to contain mints, then she used it to hold her sewing supplies. Now I do the same. I have all my embroidery floss and buttons in there, complete with Grandy's scissors and red pin cushion. I feel so, so lucky that my mother thought to save these things. That she took such good care of them. And that she is willing to part with such treasures to give them to her children.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
These are so great. What a fantastic tradition...something I would love to start for my children in some way.
I'm loving your thankful list. You'll look back on this someday so glad that you did it. I've got some stuffed animals from my childhood and some blankets that I treasure as well.
Can't wait till you get this years.
Post a Comment