Friday, November 11, 2011
#11...
Today, I am most thankful for veterans. For the men and women of the armed forces who have served and are serving our country. It is because of them that I enjoy the freedoms I do. The girls and I just got back from the Veteran's Day assembly at the elementary school. I go to an awful lot of assemblies over there. This one is my favorite. It is such a beautiful way to start this day of remembering. Children sit in the front with veterans from their families. Mostly grandpas. Some fathers. Some in uniforms. Some limping with canes. The children tell where their loved one served and in which branch of the military. Then the audience claps, and I cry. These men and women are proud of their country. They are proud of their service. I can't imagine any of them wanted to leave their families and loved ones to serve and fight. But they did it. They felt a responsibility. They felt a need to defend our freedoms. Oh my gosh, I love them for it. I watched them while we sang the Star Spangled Banner and I was completely overwhelmed with emotions. Pride. Gratitude. Really intense feelings.
My nephew Adam is on his way to Washington where he will be stationed for the next 3 years. He and his dad Tony (who just retired from the United States Air Force) were able to stop here for the night. There was a time when I wished Adam had chosen another path for his life. That he had chosen to do other things instead of the military. I feel a little different now. He feels it is a duty to serve. He has felt that way since he was little. He doesn't want to serve forever, but he wants to do it and he wants to do it now. I am realizing that people like Adam are who this country needs. People who want to help and protect. I am grateful for them and their sacrifices...and boy, do they sacrifice. It is so easy to forget what they do. To get caught up in our own lives and forget those who are struggling and giving up years of their lives to defend this amazing country. I forget. I need to change that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
I forget, did you take that picture ? It is outstanding !! We are so blessed to have had so many men and women willing to give their all for our freedom.
Post a Comment