Wednesday, September 2, 2009

why SO many pictures...

Roughly 1000 pictures a month. Of my kids. Not including any photoshoots. When I was still using film (which just ended 2 years ago) it was costing us an arm and a leg. Dave wasn't thrilled, but I wasn't stopping. Now that I use a digital camera and picture taking is nearly free, I can't slow down. I figured out my obsession the other day.

I am always chasing that perfect image. Not perfect to you or the guy down the street, but perfect to me. I rarely get it, so I click, click, click...hoping. I will look over at my child, something will catch my eye, and my heart skips a beat. I panic. STOP. Don't move an inch. But they always do. I need to freeze it, so I can see it over and over again. Those beautiful moments are so fleeting. They are growing too fast. SO many people have warned me that they grow too quickly. I see what they mean. Pictures are my way of bottling them up. I asked Alex a couple of months ago how he was such a great artist. How could he draw things in his mind, without copying or tracing? He told me that when he sees something he likes, he blinks. A real hard, tight blink. That creates a memory. I wish it were that easy.







In an effort to capture the every day, the beautiful fleeting moments, I am committing myself to clicking and documenting more regularly. That means taking pictures of the regular stuff. Not portraits, just my kids being kids. Not perfect to you, but perfect to me. I also need to write more. Not waiting for the big moments or profound thoughts, just trying to capture what we do every day. Our family.

6 comments:

MommyMert said...

*Sigh* beautifully put. Beautiful young lady.

sarahandmatt said...

You do it so well. Your kids are lucky to have you. When they are grown their memories will be so rich!

mj said...

I so wish that your childhood had been documented with pictures,but even more (or I guess just as important) are the wonderful words you use to discribe your feelings and theirs.

michelledoodads said...

I take lots of pictures too, though we are about 400 per month. Will that grow when we have more kids, or will it stay the same...we'll see. Wish I had your eye.

O family said...

Love this post. I feel the same way you do. Sometimes Quinn will make a face or hold her head a certain way and I am of to get the camera... I don't seem to capture the moments as well as I want but I agree that it is important to try.

Lisa said...

This helps me some to understand your photo obsession. I do know that you capture pictures of your kids that I would give anything to have of mine. So... even though I only take 1 for each 100 you do, I'm grateful for the ones I have. (and looking forward to lots of Gavin)