Tuesday, September 15, 2009

bartering...

This is Molly and Elsie at Spence's Bazaar last summer. Right in the heart of Dover, DE. I have lots of memories there. Our youth group from church would hold fundraisers at this flea market/auction/junk sale. It's only open a few days a week in the spring, summer and fall. It is hot. It is crowded. It is loud. It is dirty. And it has some of the best food and trinkets around. A bit like DI, but under sweltering, steamy tents. Filled with Amish people and their goods. My mom likes to frequent Spence's. Today she was there while we were talking on the phone. She spotted a birdcage. They wanted $7. "I'll give you 5". DEAL. Dang...she is good. :) It reminds me of an experience she had a few years ago before her finely tuned bartering skills had reached their peak.

She was shopping with my nephew Adam. He found some little cracker jack toys for 25 cents that he liked so she bought him one. They were such a screaming deal that they thought they ought to buy a few more. Mom was going to barter. She was new at it, so it took a minute to muster up the courage. Her heart was racing, palms sweaty as she approached the shopkeeper. "Tell you what...I'll give you 75 cents for 2." Nervously she waited to see if he would accept her offer. "Lady, they're a quarter."

I love my mom. Her life is FULL of experiences like these. I just may start having MJ Mondays on my blog. I'll have to run it by her first.

If you're ever in Dover, which I doubt you will be, be sure to stop by Spence's. QUITE an experience.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny story--I like your mom lots too. Would love to hear more stories--fun pictures too.

--kristin

The Snow Queen said...

A smart buisiness man would have said, "DEAL!" tee heee. MJ mondays sound perfect.