Friday, July 10, 2009

the other mom...

When I realized this little baby girl would be coming right on the heels of the kids getting out of school, I had mixed emotions. How could I possibly handle 5 kids, by myself, all day, every day? I've had several moments since she's arrived (which happened to be on their very last day) where I thought things would be easier to juggle if they were gone 6+ hours a day. They love school. It would keep them occupied. It would keep them happy. I've overwhelmed myself at times, wondering if they are happy. If they are enjoying their summer. We are pretty much homebound...unless I feel really ambitious. If I only had 2 at home all day, I would have so much more to give them. ALL of them.

BUT...I would lose Emily. She is my third hand around here. I need to write this down so that years down the road, I can remember just how amazing she is. I could NOT do this without her and her adorable willingness to help me. She is a nurterer. It comes naturally to her. You can just tell. Alex and Lizzy are wonderful too, but Emily...she was born to be a mom. There are days when I just can't get out of bed at 7 in the morning. Dave takes the baby out to Emily in the living room, where she watches her until I CAN get up. She bounces her, rocks her, whispers to her, kisses her. I trust Emily. Is that strange, considering she's only 8? I trust that she knows how to make the baby happy, and if she can't quite figure out what to do, she will bring her to me. She is patient. I don't think she hears the crying as loudly as the rest of us. She is obedient. She is off, running to do whatever I ask, before I even finish asking. SURE mom. OK mom. Yeah Mom.

She has been showering Molly lately. Molly sees the big kids do it and she wants to too, so Emily helps her. She washes her hair, dries her off, gets her dressed. When I'm tending to the baby and Molly needs help on the toilet, Emily does it. She takes her to the bathroom during sacrament meeting. Did I mention that she's 8? She keeps things running smoothly around here. She even did "homeschool" with Molly. She now knows her alphabet (she can actually write the letters) and early addition. Yes, Emily argues with her brother and sisters. Yes, she sasses Dave and I sometimes. Yes, we have to ask her to make her bed, brush her teeth, get in her jammies several times before it happens. I don't really care. I know that when I'm in a pinch, I can yell out for her and she'll come running.

12 comments:

O family said...

this is so sweet. I love that she is your little helper. I also love how you recognize the "not so great things" yet, they don't matter so much in comparison. :) I wish I knew them all better.

mj said...

Emily really is a little Mom. I think she gets that from you....you were the same way,and still are ! Yea for that special something that God puts in us.

jamie said...

You are so lucky to have a little helper!

Michelle said...

So cute! What a sweet girl she is! I love that new picture of that sweet girl smiling at you! So GREAT!

Anonymous said...

sweet memory of your sweet girl. So glad she is such a big helper for you. what a difference that can make.
--kristin

Melissa Yergensen said...

Oh, what a sweet little helper! She is so good and kind ... just takes after her mommy I guess! You are going to love looking back on this when she's a teenager! :)

sarahandmatt said...

Sweet Emily. I think the Lord knows what he's doing when he gives us older daughters who are willing to help. How else could we make it? Norah has that little orange onesie. It's too cute!

Carl said...

Oh goodness, Amy. That last picture pierces my heart.

Carl said...

That was RACHEL, not Carl. :)

Tami Anderson said...

I remember how she took care of every single other first grade student as well. Without her, I'd never have known what was going on.

Tami Anderson said...

I remember how she took care of every single other first grade student as well. Without her, I'd never have known what was going on.

Sharene said...

That is so so so so sweet! I love Emily. I was wondering a lot about how you were going to do it with all the kids home! Thank Heavens for Emily!