Wednesday, July 29, 2009

it's a "good mom" day...

While enjoying the Pioneer Day festivities of Friday, we saw a crowd of people making rag dolls. Sitting in the 100 degree heat, tearing fabric, trying in vain to hear the instructions. Lizzy SO badly wanted to make one. We would see little girls walking around with theirs, and her heart was yearning. I REALLY wanted to let her have a go. I'm so co-dependant. She was darling, not demanding. Just crafty, and desperately wanting to try. She was the only one who really wanted to, so Dave walked over with her. They came back frowning...the line was too long, they were out of instructions, there wasn't enough fabric. I hated seeing her sad, so we promised we would look up directions on the internet and give it a whirl. It's now been 5 days since we made that promise, and she has asked about it every day. Multiple times a day. SO...I found an old sheet and we got to tearing.

And THIS...

turned into THESE!




They LOVE them and they are happy. Why don't I craft more with my kids? I consider myself quite a crafter, but I always seem to be too busy for this sort of stuff. They were thrilled. Jabbering the whole time. Telling me how nice I was. Complimenting eachother. What a morning. :) Head out to DI, find some old sheets, give it a try! Click {HERE} to see how.

8 comments:

jamie said...

These are awesome! Where did you find instructions? Morgan loves to do crafty things, we will have to give it a try!

April Kennedy said...

Oh...this would be fun with my Activity Day girls! Good Mommy you! It does feel good when we finally take time to indulge our children in their simple desires. It's bike rides for our family. Our kids beg. We finally give in and then instantly think...why we didn't do it sooner.

Lisa said...

These are just like the ones I made with my kids out of mop bottoms.(you know, the fringe part). In fact I'm looking at one now and remembering how happy the kids were when we made them. We even put little straw hats on them. Crafts with our kids is fun.

mj said...

These are adorable.How long did it take to make them? Did all the kids do it or just Emily?

Jaime Stephens said...

Cute idea!

Vanessa said...

I love this! Your kids are so great, so good... love it! :)

Anonymous said...

those are darling dolls! Who woulda thought? Maybe even lame old me (when it comes to crafting anyhow) could accomplish this??

--kristin

Kimo said...

Those are about the cutest things I have seen in a long time! Way to go good mommy!