We can't even go to McDonald's without taking VERY specific orders. Lizzy and Alex want burgers, but Alex just wants meat and bun, Lizzy wants ketchup and mustard but none of that "rice stuff" (the onions), Emily hates nuggets but will eat a chicken sandwich. Most of them want nothing to do with fries. Molly will eat what I get her...thank heavens for that!
Pizza...Alex doesn't like it. It's the tomato sauce. SO we have to get a sauceless one for him. Emily will eat the pizza but she won't drink the root beer.
My famous frogeye salad...Alex can't handle the marshmallows. They get soggy, he says. SO, we pick them out the best we can.
Hot dogs...Emily insists they be turkey dogs. Noone will eat them with a bun. Molly NEEDS hers sliced in little rounds.
Macaroni and cheese (Kraft)...Emily's done with it. HELP.
Anything green...noone will touch it. Cilantro, green bell peppers, zuccini, even green otter pops.
Come ON...I'm not preparing chicken hearts and lima beans here. Dave and I make some pretty great stuff. We really do. But there is ALWAYS someone who doesn't like it. I don't know how my mother survived making meals for kids for 30 years. It's funny though...I can remember a major aversion to green beans as a kid. Then one night at dinner, I was particularly hungry, and was watching my dad eat his beans. Mmmmm, he kept saying. I was watching him chew, and he seemed to be enjoying it, so I tried them. HEY, not so bad. I love them now. I hope this is how things work out for my kids. How can I teach them to appreciate the finer things? Maybe it just comes with time.



7 comments:
amy, this post is cracking me up! and you and dave do make amazing things.. i've had some of them. I think it's just kids, some days there are meals my kids will scarf down and the next week they won't touch it, so if you figure this one out, i'm all ears.
They must be crazy, because everyone knows how well you can cook!! My sister was a ridiculously picky eater until she went on a study abroud to France in high school and had to eat everything. I hope it doesn't take that long for your kids :).
Thank you for the congratulations, as well! If he comes out to visit me in the fall you will definitely get to meet him!!!
I will take the cookie dough please :-)... Oh got to love kids being picky
ha-pretty funny post, Amy. Picky kid eaters. Great stuff.
Someday you'll look back on this memory and laugh and laugh with them about it.
Funny how i look back on stuff I didn't like as a kid that I love now.
But I do have to say, the cookies look divine.
--kristin
Take it from me (because Mom's like me usually like to take the credit for everything good their kids do) it's not you, it's them. My kids eat vegetables-- brussel sprouts and asparagas and steamed spinach. My boys will eat all the fruit in the house in one sitting. Let me tell you, I did NOT encourage this behavior. I did nothing to make it happen. That's how I know--it's NOT you. If they see you eating healthy food, they will eat healthy food as adults. In the meantime, make them pick out their own marshmallows!
This post made me laugh...I remember very few dinners when at least one of you would say,"EEW,Mom you know I hate that" The thing you hated often changed to your very favorites in a short time.WHY?????
Dad said one word comes to mind.... YUK !!!! Heard almost every meal in the Temple home,no matter what was being served.
Post a Comment