Cancer. I hate the word. It terrifies me. I've never really blogged about a dance before. I'm not a dancer. I have no training. But I was moved last night with this dance. I cried before they ever started moving. Melissa...a woman battling breast cancer, and Ade...her strength. People made a REALLY big deal about this dance. Sometimes that will push me the other way. Not this time. I was a sobbing mess. It was without question, the most beautiful dance I have ever seen. My sister is a cancer survivor. She beat it. So many people don't. I love that as the dance progressed, Melissa seemed to tire. She was running out of energy from her fight, and Ade lifted and carried her. That is what love is. Carrying someone when they are too tired. At times I have wished I could take the pain away from a loved one. Take the pain onto myself. I don't know that that is completely possible. I know someone who can, but it isn't me. I DO know that I can help lift their burden though. I can love them, listen to them, have them lean on me, and leave with a bit of their pain on my shoulders.Thursday, July 23, 2009
the C word...
Cancer. I hate the word. It terrifies me. I've never really blogged about a dance before. I'm not a dancer. I have no training. But I was moved last night with this dance. I cried before they ever started moving. Melissa...a woman battling breast cancer, and Ade...her strength. People made a REALLY big deal about this dance. Sometimes that will push me the other way. Not this time. I was a sobbing mess. It was without question, the most beautiful dance I have ever seen. My sister is a cancer survivor. She beat it. So many people don't. I love that as the dance progressed, Melissa seemed to tire. She was running out of energy from her fight, and Ade lifted and carried her. That is what love is. Carrying someone when they are too tired. At times I have wished I could take the pain away from a loved one. Take the pain onto myself. I don't know that that is completely possible. I know someone who can, but it isn't me. I DO know that I can help lift their burden though. I can love them, listen to them, have them lean on me, and leave with a bit of their pain on my shoulders.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
You are such a beautiful person and have a real way with words. Thanks for posting this. I have a close friend, a 27 year old, who has been fighting cancer for the past 4 years. It's devastating, and the hard thing is that she won't let anyone take the burden even for a short while - she refuses to discuss it.
Hurrah to your sister. I bet she is a really special lady.
With love,
Vanessa
i fell asleep about 30 minutes in last night, now i need to go watch this dance!!! it sounds beautiful. thanks for your beautiful words amy, your sister is lucky to have you and what a beautiful courageous fighter she is. someday i hope i meet her because she sounds truly wonderful.
This dance really is amazing. Whew. I need to watch it again. Thank you for posting this!
A great post Amy and I got teary just thinking about the dance and all that it stands for for so many people. Love you.
I LOVED this dance...the emotions it set loose were amazing. Like you, I cried almost all the way thru it.I am amazed how you can so beautifully express MY feelings.Thanks.
Post a Comment