Monday, July 27, 2009

celebrating pioneers...

I've never really been thrilled with Pioneer Day. It's a day off of work for Dave, which is great, but the actual pioneer part...I just didn't get it. Around here, most everyone has pioneer heritage. Sometimes they call it pioneer stock. We have lessons in RS all about the pioneers and our heritage...though it isn't MY heritage. My parents are both converts to the church. None of my ancestors came across the plains. I used to feel slightly inferior during these lessons, then I just started tuning them out. Until last year. I realized something. I realized that although those many, many people who crossed the plains weren't related to me, their sacrifice affected me as if they had been. They sacrificed their homes, their belongings, their lives...for the Lord and for those they knew would come later. I am one of those. So are you. I am so grateful for them and for their faith. I am here because of it.

So...I felt like Dave and I needed to get the kids out this year on Pioneer Day, to experience the festivities. We did it. It was DANG hot, but we did it. We had a great day. After a few hours at North Park, we headed to Sonic. I'm pretty sure there weren't fruit slushies crossing the plains, but we HAD to eat. After lunch, a $ movie, then a hike to Bridal Veil Falls. The kids were so happy. I actually didn't care about the heat. I loved being together, enjoying these experiences with them. 9 hours out of the house, and the baby slept nearly the whole time. :)







7 comments:

brittany said...

oh amy, you are a good mom, and looking awfully good for just having a baby. where did you get that cute tank?

Lisa said...

What a wonderful day for your kids and you. Those days are the best. Great memory making.

Anonymous said...

What a great day Amy! We talked about doing something for Pioneer Day--didn't really know what to do though. Maybe we'll follow your lead next year. Fun pictures.

Kristin

Michelle said...

We played the stick pull game (I watched), rolled hair in rags, banged nails in boards and had a three legged race at camp. Very pioneerish. Looks like a fun day with your family. Make it a tradition!

MommyMert said...

SO much fun! So glad you got out to enjoy it! :)

mj said...

I know the kids had a blast.They never mind the heat if they are having fun. Love Molly in the fire truck !!

jweed said...

amy, funny what you said about ignoring the pioneers for so long. i did the same thing until 2 years ago when i had the same realization. and this year my hubby and i had to give talks about pioneers...that was my whole angle on the pioneer thing. they sacrificed as we are also sacrificing. not the same things, but for the same purpose. inspiring, no?! i love your posts...you're great at capturing the everyday. thanks!