Tuesday, September 9, 2008

the reason why...

Alex may just be the sweetest kid I know. Really. Have I mentioned what a great artist he is? I am so proud of him and all that he's learning in his art lessons. I was talking with my friend Kristin the other day about our boys. We were talking about sports and the pressure to be great at one of them...or ALL of them. What if they don't excel at any of them? He's a great athlete, but just hasn't quite found his niche yet. With sports at least. His niche just may be art. I realize that won't exactly make him popular during his school years, but what woman doesn't love a graphic designer. They're cool guys. I was very drawn to them during college. I guess what I am getting at is that art is a wonderful trade for him to be learning. It will make him successful, just maybe not as popular in this sports saturated area.


This is a picture he did of our house a few months ago. I love it. In fact...it may find a place on our living room wall. It makes me happy. Now on to the reason for this post.


Alex has some strange ticks. Kindof like turretts (sp?) but not quite. I've mentioned them to his doctor who has told me not to worry. It's normal. Well, I still don't want him to get teased, so when I see them, I bring them to his attention. Emily has some too...very odd. Anyhow, one of his ticks is with his hands. He spreads his fingers far apart, then tenses them or curls them...almost like he's trying to crack his knuckles. I've asked him in the past what it was all about and he said something about feeling sweat between his fingers. The other morning as we were walking to a friends house, he did it again. I asked him why. He said (let's see if I can quote), "I used to think it was because there was sweat on my hands, but now I think it's actually my body's way of telling me I want to draw." I could have wrapped him up in a huge hug right there...frozen time...cried because I love him SO much.

19 comments:

brittany said...

he is such a good little artist! i love the picture of your house. way to go alex.

Christina & Andrew said...

Oh my gosh, how sweet!!! That's adorable. He really is such a good artist; it could take him really far in life.

Jaime Stephens said...

WOW that is amazing! Where can I buy his art? That is such a sweet story too he is a cutie! I love your comments on my blog you are sweet and you crack me up. You need to come to Joices and play bananagram we love it!

MommyMert said...

Uh.. I honestly think you need to frame that picture and put it in the house. Its awesome! :) He is so sweet. Your kids are always so sweet and good to my kids. It must be from their parents example.

emlizalmo said...

Jaime...I am all over Banangrams! Let's set a date. I beat...I mean, PLAY...Dave almost every night!

Jessica said...

I do want to just hug him! What a cute kid!!!

mj said...

Go bananagrams !!! Alex's picture is wonderful. What a talent he has.His reasonong about the hand thing is sooo sweet. I think your children may have gotten their "tics" from their Mom. Luckily they go away.(I was afaid that you were going to have a permanent line down the center of your nose.)

O family said...

This is adorable. Alex is an incredible artist! He is so much better than I am. I am hoping that Quinn gets some of her Dad's artistic talent. I think a lot of the kids in our family have ticks. Remember David's throat clearing thing?? Ha, I think my tick was to eat!! :)

Rachel said...

I absolutely LOVE that picture, sweet and VERY GOOD. My brother was really good at sports, too, but he was a WONDERFUL ARTIST and he now has his own graphic design company. He loves it...how fun that Alex already loves something that much and has a headstart at something he could definitely be successful in.

Lisa said...

I didn't realize just how talented Alex is. I am so impressed!! Both of my boys also had numerous tics. In fact, they still do. Not sure why.

Kara said...

What a wonderful drawing! He's definitely talented. I'm glad he's enjoying it so much.

Michelle said...

SO SO SO SO cute. What a great story. I'm so glad you shared it here. I love that he loves it that much. Also, I was just talking to a friend about how her little 7 year old is trying to figure out what she's good at, and maybe she should draw!

Kristin said...

What a GREAT picture--he is so talented! I think he is so great, Amy--i really do.

Kami Schultz said...

Stories like this make me love YOU and YOUR kids, which makes me love MY boy more and more. Thanks for sharing the love! What a fantastic boy you have!

Dub said...

... I suppose this is the end of my lurking on your blog.. ;)

Just wanted to mention that your description sounds a lot like a guy I grew up with. (he still played sports for fun) He is now an even more amazing artist, musician, author.

http://www.jkirkrichards.com/

Just food for thought. :)

emlizalmo said...

Thanks Tim. :)

utahmominmexico said...

Wow awesome drawing. I remember one day, before he started art lessons, when we were talking about what our boys might be good at. I'm so glad Alex found one of his. Riley thinks his is videogames.

Lady said...

His art is really amazing and I love how detailed oriented it is. I think it's great that he has a passion and is so motivated to develop this natural talent of his. I hope my kids can find a passion for whatever talent lurks within.

Sharene said...

He is an incredible artist. I can't believe that. I couldn't draw that well in a million years!