Monday, September 29, 2008

our sunday drive...

Fall has just started down here in the valley, but I knew we were running out of time with the gorgeous colors in the mountains. About this time last year, we went up to Cascade Springs with Grandma Bird. It was the most gorgeous drive. Beautiful, crisp air. We walked around, in no hurry to get anywhere. I can remember the whole evening vividly. I wanted to re-create it, but with Christy this time. We got outfits "semi" coordinated...OK they really aren't very much, but the kids all looked cute...no grubbies. First lesson learned...don't go on a Sunday night. That's what everyone is doing. Crowded. That didn't take away from the beauty though. It is so cleansing in the mountains. Crisp, clean, colorful.


I figured I would have the kids watch a movie in the van since the drive takes an hour. We've never had a DVD player in the car before, and we just can't get enough. Well, Emily and Lizzy got enough after about 5 minutes of a combination of switchbacks and "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang". Nausea. Crying. Me panicking because I didn't know where to have the poor girls do it. Seconds before Emily vomited (in the new car), we emptied out Molly's purse and handed it back. It was actually one of mine. Oh well. What to do with it now? I walked out into the woods and carefully tucked it under some ferns, right under a huge aspen tree. If you're hiking and come across a blue canvas bag one day, don't look inside to see it's contents. Each girl then chewed 1/2 of a bonine pill...for motion sickness. Thought that had worked, but Lizzy had her turn on the way home (FOUND an empty bag in my purse) and Emily went again...on the side of the road. Alex just kept fanning his face in the backseat, repeating over and over...boy, this is sure fun.





What did I learn? Dramamine or Bonine an hour before a drive...anywhere. Movies and mountain drives don't jive. A car sickness kit, as Davey called it...gallon sized ziplocks, gum, wipes.
You know what though...it was still completely worth it. The place is breathtaking, the light is perfect. I love my kids.


14 comments:

sarahandmatt said...

it doesn't seem fair that you should get such a darling picture of your family five minutes before your Jonathan Canlas photos come back. What will you do with them all? I guess that's what blogging's for, right?

MommyMert said...

Ooh.. car sickness is no good. I hope to never find that bag! Glad you still had a good time though.

brittany said...

oh my heavens i feel bad for those little girls! i'm glad it didn't take away from the fun of the evening. you have such a beautiful family, and you and dave are seriously the best parents. i would have been hyperventalating.

Melissa Yergensen said...

I still get car sick, Scott knows not to ask me to read anything or even turn around in the car. You're such a good mom though - you could take those beautiful pictures after that ... I would have been so yucked out I would have turned around and went home!

jamie said...

I love Cascade Springs, one of my favorite places in the fall! Should have warned you about the mountains and the movies! Been there, done that...

Jaime Stephens said...

The pictures sure turned out they are all beautiful you have such a cute family.. Last time we did that drive Savannah threw up also guess it's not to nice for anyone but it is beautiful..

Unknown said...

I hate motion sickness! Yucky for the girls. Your family is so cute. The pictures turned out good! You're a great photographer for sure!

mj said...

Car sickness is awful !!! I'm glad they got over it so quickly tho. The pictures are so good !!!!

Rachel said...

I come from a car-sick family...so many stories. I love your car-sick kit idea. You got some beautiful pictures, though!

O family said...

ugh, just reading this makes me stressed and feel a little yucky. The pictures all are great though! I love Molly's little dress/shirt! How cute, where did you get it? She always looks cute though huh??

Sharene said...

Cute, cute pictures. That car ride sounds awful. I get car sickness too. It is not fun.

Lady said...

YUCK! I am so glad you were prepared. I don't think I would have been. My mom always had a bag stash in our car but my kids really haven't had car sickness. Lucky me I guess.

Pictures are great. Fall is really enjoyable time of year. I love the cool air - not cold, just cool.

Gotta call you - Clay Aiken coming out? Now, I need a bag - where did you put Molly's purse???

Kristin said...

These pictures are so amazing. Love them all. That leaf one, with Lizzie is great. Sorry about the puking though. Kind of stinky. Glad it didn't ruin the day though. That's what matters, right? So never been to or heard of Cascade Springs. Where is it?

jensenfamily said...

that is a classic story - I hope I do find that blue canvas bag with the petrified puke in it someday. Erin