First things first...I got this great photo off the blog of a friend of a friend. Don't know where she got it, but I love it. SO, last night was the night. The American Idol concert. After spending a fairly obscene amount of money on tickets the night of the finale, the excitement wore off a bit. The hype was over, and I wasn't as thrilled anymore. I wanted to sell our tickets on KSL, but so did everyone else. SO, we went. I'm really glad that we did, though I have learned that if there is a show you want to see, just chill, relax, and get your tickets from someone else a few nights before (much cheaper I might add).Here is what I thought of the show:
Hated the set-up of the program. Starting with #10 (Chikeze) and going to #1 (David Cook), each contestant had 3 songs, then 4 for Archuletta and 5 for Cook. Some of the earlier vote-offs were quite good, but seriously, 3 songs apiece? It was like 10 mini-concerts, 5 of which I wouldn't have cared to see/hear. You wait for 2 hours to hear the Davids, which is the main reason you are there. You're hot, sweaty, and tired by the time they come out. I think they need to mix it up a bit. More group numbers. Don't save the winner until 9:45 pm. Let him sing earlier, then again at the end.
I think it could have been a 5 man show rather than 10. Brook, Michael, Carly, David and David. The rest were just fluff. Filler...which you don't really need in a 3 hour concert, you know? Actually, most of the acts were OK, I was just indifferent. Chikeze is a great performer. Lots of energy. Ramiele was seriously painful to watch. Everything about it...her outfit, her lack of stage presence, her "pitchy"-ness. Yowzers. Dave went on a long water run during her bit. Kristy Lee Cook, Jason Castro, Syesha...OK...they were fine, none of them blew me away. Although, Syesha's outfit nearly did. WHAT was that?! Do they realize just how many kids are in that audience? Tacky.
Brook was fabulous. Really, really good. Michael Johns is a star. So is Carly. I have no doubt they will make it in this industry. Hugely talented and voted off way to early, in my opinion. The David's. SO worth waiting for. Archuletta was so gracious, Cook was a bit arrogant. Don't get me wrong, I still love him, but he seems as though he now feels he has to "play" the rockstar. The whole image. His music is unbelievable, but I want him to chill a little. They both sounded better in person than on TV. SO GOOD. Wierd though, because they were so far away that I had to watch them on the big screen. That made me feel like I was watching TV. Hard to really "get" that they were in the same room as me. There was one point though, where Cook came way out on the stage, and it clicked. He's right there, maybe 100 yards away. Very cool.
Lastly, the seats were too gosh darn cramped. I had the pleasure of sitting next to some sweet guy probably in his late 60's. He had the worst breath I have ever smelled. You know when it smells even when they are breathing through their nose? As if that weren't enough...he had gas too. I'm talking every 2-3 minutes. WHAM. The WHOLE night. Thank goodness it was a big place and it dissipated fast. Whew.
After all this ranting...bottom line...it was good, but not worth the price we paid. Several stars in the making though. Can't wait to see what they come up with.



6 comments:
Despite the down-turns, I'm so glad you got to go! Everything you said I could add an amen to...I felt those same things just watching the show. Did you know American Idol tryouts are at the end of this month at the Delta Center? That will be entertaining to watch!
HA! this made me laugh out loud. I am glad that you got to go and enjoy your Davids!
Rachel...Dave's little brother Jim is going to be trying out in SLC. He is amazing. Can't wait to see what happens. :)
I loved hearing about this...I'm so glad that you went. But glad that I got to see it through your eyes.
So glad you got to go!!!!! Sorry bout the flatulence, but it adds to your story--heehee. I would like to see the top 5--those are the only ones I even know about. Good luck to Dave's bro!!!
Amy, you are a riot! Ilove this blog. It made me laugh out loud too. Glad you gat to see them.
Post a Comment