Wednesday, May 28, 2008

the river...

Lizzy asks nearly every day to go on a walk on the river trail. I have been saying "maybe tomorrow" for the past week, so...we went. She wants to see the horses. So, we cut a few apples, bagged them and headed out the door. Usually the kids would just watch Daddy feed the horses. They are rather big...and intimidating. I'll have to explain my kids fear of ALL animals...another day...another blog. A few weeks ago we went to see the horses. They were all the way across the field, but with a little coaxing and whistling, they came to us. Lizzy wanted to touch one. This usually ends in her changing her mind, shaking, and crying. This last time though, she did it. Once she realized she could, she was obsessed. Feeding, touching, pulling, rubbing. She couldn't get enough of them. She was giddy. Almost crying she was so happy. I was too. We fed them again this last week. She's all over them. What's interesting is that Alex and Emily are still too nervous. My timid, worried little Lizzy was the first. That makes me so happy! :)

She is now the horse petting pro. See guys...like this.
You have to know how HUGE this is for my sweet Lizzy. I am so, so proud of her conquering her fear, however irrational it was.

It got a little cold on our walk...and mosquito-ey too :( so this was the solution these two came up with. Vest...care of Daddy. They looked so funny and they knew it too. VERY cute.

Beautiful light...beautiful girls.

And what is a post without my baby girl?

8 comments:

O family said...

oh this is wonderful! Go Lizzy!!! Maybe she will like to ride, like we all did! I think riding is in our blood :)

Rachel said...

I have wonderful memories of feeding the horses hard candies on my grandpa's farm...I was so careful to hold my hand just so. Then I got bucked off the shetland one day and that was it. Still love them, though. That last picture of Molly is so precious...to die for.

Michelle said...

Those pictures are to die for. Your kids are so photogenic, and you are such a sharp shooter! P.S. I still don't like to pet the horses!

mj said...

Love these pictures.I am so proud of Lizzy.Such a big,big step for such a darling big girl.

MommyMert said...

Have I mentioned I love your family?? So great! I love that she was all about the horses. Hooray! xo

Lady said...

AMY- Emily looks SOO much like you with her arms crossed in that one picture. I am glad that Lizzie let go of her fear and now enjoys those special visits. Michele is right - you'll have to get her riding. I remember loving my grandpa's pony "Buttons", even when he bucked us off. We only rode bare back but I have great memories braiding his mane and just sitting on him while he was grazing.

Kristin said...

mmmmmm . . .Molly!!!! She can steal a show!

I know your Lizzy--she is all over Milo at my house now. They just keep growing up don't they? (and I have to admit, I don't put my hand too near the horses. Those teeth are so BIG!! Go Lizzy, you sweet girl.

And that sweet picture of Alex and Emily?? I love when my kids are close. Their joy in eachother makes me happy.

laurag said...

It's so cool how connections can be made, whether it be thru people or people with animals, almost like kindred spirits. That's how Lizzy got the courage to pet the horses I bet. She's a future Rachel or caroline. We're so proud of her conquering her fear and being an example of how to do so for her siblings. p.s. I LOVE it when Elsie tries to make me laugh, which it seems like your kids are great at doing just that. And p.s.s. Molly ain't no baby anymore. She is a gorgeous little girl.