Tuesday, May 20, 2008

daughters...

Let me tell you about my morning. On Tuesdays, I go to the elementary school to volunteer with my kids classes. This morning I convinced Emily to change from her shorts to some cute red goucho-sweats. I love them...she never wears them. She was excited that it made me happy. When I got to the school, I realized it was a mistake. I could tell she had been tugging at them and pulling them up all morning. She's super skinny and why they don't put real drawstrings in those things is beyond me. Here was my solution. Send Emily and Lizzy to the bathroom together to switch pants! Lizzy is a wee bit thicker, so I thought it was a brilliant idea. Lizzy wasn't happy about it. Not at all. I convinced her to do it anyway. I'll give you gum. I'll give you starbursts. This will help Emily so much and make me so happy. Well, she did it, but she cried. She just knew that people would stare and wonder why her pants were different. I didn't really full understand the concern, but then I started to remember those feelings of not wanting people to stare. Being terrified of being the center of attention when I didn't want it. I didn't know what to do. I debated going home with the girls to get entirely new outfits. Lizzy figured that would be even worse.

I convinced them to just go with the flow. I handed them some gum and candy. Lizzy wanted to save hers for the walk home, Emily wanted to eat her candy right away. I obliged. They went back in to the classroom...Emily smiling, Lizzy terribly worried. All the kids were on the mats in the middle of the room for story time. Everyone WAS staring. 2 seconds later, Emily came out crying. Her (nasty) substitute teacher told her to spit out her candy. Emily was sad and embarrased, and I was angry to be quite honest. Let her chew the dang thing. Don't call her out in front of the whole class. She's a good girl. She doesn't deserve that. I tucked another one in her pocket for later and sent her back in. The entire class stared as she found her spot on the floor. She put her head down and cried some more. Right next to her was my sad, worried Elizabeth.

I stood there wondering what to do. I wanted so desperately to go in there and comfort them. Would that just embarass them more? I couldn't walk away. They were sad. I was sad. It's one and the same. I realized in that moment, that I had to let them experience whatever they were experiencing. There really was nothing I could do. That's a frustrating, helpless feeling. The good thing is, they are resilient happy girls. It would work itself out. I knew it would. So...I walked away. Now THAT was hard. Walking away is so hard.

9 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh my gosh I am totally crying!! And I'm not pregnant! Your story brought me to tears!! I feel for you and your girls, yet I totally agree with you that you have to let them experience life by themselves even though I want to do it for them! I hate this part of being a mom!

Michelle said...

Did you cry as you walked away? I got a little teary eyed just thinking about it. You did fine. They will be fine. But I totally remember what that felt like...so hard to be little. As they get older, these experiences will teach them to be happy with who they are and not to worry about what other people think. They made each other happy, and no one else matters.

laurag said...

Man Amy, it's so hard to believe that such a simple experience can really teach so much not only to you about being a mom but also about your girls and their courage and willingness to help eachother out - no matter what. At that moment I probably would have wanted to pimp smack that teacher or at least egg her car to show her who's boss, but as hard as it was , you did the right thing walking away. That would have been sooooo hard. I just wish at times I could freeze the world and remove Elsie from a situation and just hug and hug and hug her and no one would know any different, but how on earth would she ever learn to be strong herself or even better to Not be one of those kids that just stares or laughs b/c she knows how it feels to be on the other end?? Your girls are so tender and sweet, and resilient...I bet they've already moved on. Love you amy!

brittany said...

oh that breaks my heart. i can't believe you were able to walk away it must have been so hard. those girls are such sweet nice little girls, it's so hard to hear about them being sad...

Kristin said...

I told Ally I would meet her at the flagpole today as she had a hard time going to class--hence I walked the whole way home with the kids--at one point your darling girls were walking ahead of me, together--Emily put her head on Elizabeth's shoulder and their hands met--it lasted maybe 5 seconds but was so precious.

About your blog--being a parent can be so hard--all the advice in the world doesn't prepare you for moments like that. At those times I think I understand to very miniscule degree how Heavenly Father might feel, watching us as we struggle with different experiences here.

{natalie} said...

hi, i saw your comment...i bought the mirror for $10 at a yardsale and painted it. it has garland hanging on it that i made for our little girl's birthday. i just used a scallop punch, adhesive and red twine. thanks for the compliments!

O family said...

oh Amy, this made me all teary eyed too. It was so hard for those girls and for you. I think that it is super sweet for Lizzy to do something for her sister even though it made her sad. How adorable. I imagine that it was extremely tough for you to walk away but in the end, it will make them stronger.

mj said...

Amy you did it again.This brought tears for the girls and for you.It is so hard growing up sometimes and even harder to be a Mommy.I absolutely LOVE this blog,it helps me remember similar times with you and your sisters and brother.I miss those times,even with the heartache that goes with it.
Also,I love to read the comments your friends make,it makes me realize that we are going to be OK with special,feeling people to help us.Thanks all !!

MommyMert said...

*Tears* Its hard being the Mommy sometimes--stupid teacher--You did good. Your kids are awesome!