Tuesday, April 28, 2009

good stuff...

Watermelon. A sure sign that summer is somewhere out there. We saw some yesterday at Macey's. Granted it was 29 cents/lb, but it was watermelon people. I could eat an entire melon every day in the summer. It feels so good to fill my stomach with watery fruit, rather than grilled cheese and chocolate. I definitely prefer seedless, but other than that, no special requests. Though you will NEVER see me putting salt on it like my mom who learned it from her parents. Something about making it sweeter. It's plenty sweet, thank you. :) I can actually remember a time when my grandfather, Grampy, accidentally doused his with pepper at the beachhouse in NJ. He said it was no accident and proceeded to eat the whole plate. Man, he was hilarious. You would just laugh all the time when you were around him. I miss him. Anyhow, so grateful for a bowl full of cold melon just waiting for Molly and I in the kitchen...and a husband who is always willing to cut it up for us.

My twins dressing like twins. I remember before they came, I had 2 ideas in my head...no pink, and no matchy-matchy. Honestly...what was I thinking? I love pink. I love when they match. I was VERY obsessive about the matching...for years. Only in the last 2 or 3 have I let them be individuals, picking their own clothes. A LOT of control given up by yours truly. For the past few weeks though, they have been twins almost daily. Their own idea. Honestly. I didn't say anything. When I ask them why, they just say "We wanted to be twins today." Fine by me. As they get older and change SO much, it gets harder and harder to tell they are sisters, let alone twins. I am so grateful they have (and always will) that connection. I'm a bit jealous actually. They are pals. I have requested that they be in the same class for the 3rd grade. The only reason I question my decision is because everyone else separates their twins. I can't. They don't want me to. They thrive together. Yes, they need to be individuals, but I also don't mind them functioning as a unit. Lizzy and Emily. Emily and Lizzy. It makes me happy.


Lastly...my yard. I would go take a picture for you, but I'm just not in the mood. The grass is green and lush. Dave takes great care of it. Every time I drive down the street and see our lawn, I sigh. I want to feel it on my feet. Sit on it. Eating watermelon, with my matchy-matchy twins. :)

7 comments:

brittany said...

amy i love you and your blog and your posts. they make me smile!

mj said...

What more could anyone ask for?? Maybe beautiful sun and a small fragrant breeze.

Rachel said...

What a great tribute to summer! I WISH I liked watermelon - it's beautiful and looks great. I've never been able to eat it, though. Carl thought he saw one of your twins riding her bike down Center Street the other day and, without thinking, I said, "I don't think so. Her sister would be right beside her." I LOVE that those girls love being twins...they were born with such a wonderful blessing - instant best friend.

Anonymous said...

I think it's awesome that your twins want to match. I always wanted to be a twin.

I'm having a give-away for mom's on the domestic fringe. Come visit to be entered.

-FringeGirl

Michelle said...

I love you. I read your blog like you are talking to me, and it makes me wish I was sitting in your living room talking. I love you.

Brookie said...

I can't imagine why people feel the need to separate twins.... how awesome that they have each other, and love each other and want to be together. Love it, relish it, enjoy it... I hope it always lasts.... they are go great!!

laurag said...

What a great entry Amy. I also love watermelon and could bathe in it basically. And I love that you are so in tune with the needs of your children that you can give up control where needed and facilitate things when needed too, like keeping them together in school. I think it's great that you are sticking to your guns and doing what you know will be best for your girls. They'll thank you later for it. Miss you. p.s. I wish so badly our yard was like yours....:(