Wednesday, February 24, 2010

ipod trauma...


Alex LOVES his ipod. Real, true love. We found shuffles for the kids for $30 this Christmas. Refurbished through Apple. The girls are in like, but Alex is in love. He and his darling teacher Miss Rodgers, like to compare music and download eachother's favorites. I think Alex may have a tiny crush, though he would HATE me for putting that assumption out there on the www. He asks me almost every day if we can download some new song. He earns them. By keeping his room clean and such. He listens while he does his homework, while he draws, while he plays games on the computer. I actually love that he is so passionate about his music. He's such a great kid.

SO...yesterday when he asked if his hoodie was out of the wash yet, I told him it wasn't...it was still wet. Then he asked if I'd remembered to take his ipod out of the pocket. HUH?! Dag GONE IT! I ran down to the washer, and sure enough, there it was. It had just taken a nice warm bath. My initial reaction was anger. I was mad that Alex had left it in there but never told me. As he walked out the door to school, I heard him say, "I hate myself". That made me sad. I checked it right before he left. Dead. The computer wouldn't even recognize that it was plugged in. The more I thought about it, the more I realized the fault was just as much mine. I should be checking pockets...regularly. It's one of my 8,000 duties around here. I was so sad for him. I wanted to replace it, but didn't want him to think I would constantly make up for his bad choices. I was really torn. I talked with my mom, and we figured out a plan. I would buy it, immediately, then I would have Alex earn $5 as his part. That would work. Perfect. Just before he came home, I tried it one more time. It was working! It had dried out. I couldn't WAIT to tell him.

As soon as he walked in from school, I grabbed his ipod. He was thrilled. Very smiley. He took it, then said, "That's what happens when you say a prayer." So matter of fact. So sure of what he had just said. That IS what happens. I am so proud of him. So proud that he remembered to pray again, to thank the Lord for his help. I realize that not all prayers are answered this way. SO many of the kids prayers ARE, but not all of them. Sometimes I wonder why. Why people have to lose loved ones. Why people get sick or hurt. Why people lose jobs. Why people struggle. It's part of the Lord's plan. Somehow he knows the beginning from the end. I don't think he would cause pain or sorrow, but I think he allows it. I think he allows it so that we will know how to succor eachother. How to care for eachother. Empathize. Love. These are the thoughts running through my head today. All because of an ipod.

6 comments:

Jaime Stephens said...

I want to be like you Amy. And I want Alex to Marry one of my girls he is a sweetheart!

brittany said...

i know this post is about the ipod and prayer, but i really want to say that i love your picture wall.

I love more that his prayer worked. it's amazing the little things the Lord does to teach us each and every day. I'm happy for you and for Alex!

Also, Emily's hair is so beautiful. it looks like she has highlights!! people pay serious $$ for hair like hers.

sarahandmatt said...

I hope my kids offer these kinds of prayers by the time they're Alex's age! Wow! What faith!

P.S. I never check pockets, either, and the only person who leaves stuff in his pockets is Matt. I can't tell you how many times I've washed cell phones, wallets, and worst of all PENS!!!

MommyMert said...

I love this. Thank you for the reminder to me this am to get on my knees. I have been a bit unbalanced the past few weeks, and needed a sweet reminder of the power of prayer. xo

Payne said...

I love the way that an i pod left in a pocket can turn the wheels in your brain and you post deep thoughts and find gratitude even in difficult situations. I never check pockets. Thanks for reminding me.

mj said...

Love this post...the faith of a child is a marvelous thing.Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could have that all of our lives?