
Emily put this crazy/sweet sign on the house almost 2 weeks ago, and I can't bring myself to take it down. The wind will have to carry it away. I love our little house and everything that it holds...minus the clutter. This isn't a dream home by any means, but it is the Schofield's home. It is ours. It is the home that my children will think of when they remember their childhood. Small as it may be, I think it's cute. The cutest one on the block, actually. Winter isn't it's cutest season, but in the spring and summer, I turn onto our street and sigh when I see it. Dave keeps up the yard beautifully. It's just bright and happy.
That's what I want my home to be...bright and happy. And warm. You know those homes? The ones that you go into and don't want to leave. They are filled to the brim with love and kindness. You feel peaceful, content, happy. I've been in a few of those in my lifetime. Really only a few. And they weren't the cleanest or the neatest or the most fabulously decorated. They weren't any of those things, but they made me feel a certain way. The way I want my home to make others feel. The way my parents home makes me feel now. A teeny bit of it may be the house, but MOST of it is the people inside. They way they treat eachother. The way they love eachother and respect eachother. You can reach out and touch the feeling I'm talking about. It warms you right up when you are sad or blue. It calms you when you are anxious or worried. You want to move in and stay forever.



9 comments:
I love this post. I completely know the feeling that you are talking about. Grandma and Grandpa's house has it for me too. What I have seen of your house- it looks wonderful. (and hello- it is not small, obviously you have not seen our small cape cod :( )
ps I LOVE Emily's sign. It is perfect.
What a wonderful and true sign sweet Emily made. I wouldn't take it down either.
I think THAT is exactly why I LONG for 'home' sometimes (where mom and dad live)...because I grew up feeling loved and wanted. Every little kid should have a 'house of love' - doesn't that make you melt that your own kids think of their home that way?
Well said! My husband's grandparents had a home like that and it was a bit unfamiliar to me when we were first married. I adopted it super quick, though! They're both gone now and I HOPE someday my home can feel like that.
P.S. What a sweet girl you have. :)
I LOVE having them both in class. They make me smile.
You've inspired me! That is such a sweet description of some homes. I have certainly felt that before and I want it in my house too! Now how do you get it?
I love your house of love.
The sign made me smile when I saw it the other day.
You sure know what to say. It is a cute house and you make it that way. Always looks so nice and si much love there. I didn;t see the cute sign but I will have to drive by and look. LOVE JOICE
I agree with Michele...not small. I can't believe I have never been in your house! And I am sure it is welcoming, just like grandma and grandpa's.
Well said, Amy. I bet your house (home) IS like that and you don't even know it. I want the same thing.
Post a Comment