The kids school has a long standing (3 year) tradition going. They have a Fun Run every fall. It's a fundraiser for the school. They hope to raise close to $8000 each year. Not sure if they get that much, but I'll bet it's close. I hate fundraisers. With a passion. I realize they are kind of necessary, but I don't like sending my kids out to all the neighbors houses (my friends) and having them ask people if they'd like to buy some ridiculously expensive, completely unnecessary item. And I've got 3 kids asking. How do I manage that? I can't expect neighbors to buy from each kid. I CAN have them ask neighbors to sponsor each of them with $1 for their Fun Run though. WAY less pressure. Each kid earned $15 too. It was awesome.The morning of the race they are always excited/anxious. They pick their outfits the night before. They giggle and chatter as they leave the house. It was cold this year. They didn't care. They run 2 miles...around the school and baseball field two times. Each year they get faster. They really do. Usually the girls beat Alex by quite a bit. Not this year. They still passed him, but he took it a lot more seriously and really pushed it at the end. I think all 3 of them made it in the top 20-ish, out of several hundred kids.




I think a lot of my joy comes from the fact that I love running so much right now. I know how good it can make you feel. How accomplished. I was a team sport girl in my childhood, but I may just push this track and field thing. It's individual. They work hard, it pays off. They are runners. I just know they are. They love it. I get excited just thinking about them getting faster, stronger. We'll see where this running thing takes us. :)




5 comments:
Everybody's running and everybody's happy! I love your pictures. I love that you camera can catch them mid run without the least bit of blur.
Oh boy do I love the fun run. Seriously it's the best idea for a fundraiser. these are some great pictures. Jon enjoys coaching the individual sports. I think there is something about them. Your kids are wonderful. Great pictures.
Amy, your kids are amazing. I know you know that.
So cute. The fun run sounds great....just what the name says-fun.It was wonderful to see you ,but so,so sad I couldn't come on Friday. I'm feeling better, but not quite right yet.
This is the best fundraiser, I think. No buying stuff I don't need while the school only gets, like, 10 percent of the proceeds. THIS, on the other hand, is actually SO GREAT for the kids. Loved this.
Post a Comment