Tuesday, October 19, 2010

halloween...

OK...I am going to come right out and say something. I hate Halloween. Everything about it. I realize that some of you will not even want to be my friend anymore after this confession. Hear me out. First of all...what is it all about anyway? What the heck are we celebrating? Grown-up women being able to dress like French maids for the day? Skeletons, ghouls, goblins, or even worse...vampires?

Every year when October hits, I decide that I will make costumes for my kids. I will save money this way for sure. I will sew, use old things from around the house, I will create...for my kids...because I love them. They have wierd ideas for costumes though, so I put it off. Until about the middle of October. Costumes, or the thought of them, just linger...like a dark cloud, hanging over my head and following me everywhere I go. It stresses me out. There is a lot of pressure to put together the most fabulous costumes. I hear what my kids friends are planning and think..."Oh crap. Seriously? I better get to work." Once again, the question...what are we celebrating anyway? So last Saturday rolled around, and I had had it. Just like I do every year, 2 weeks before the big day. We load up the car and head out to Joanns, Walmart, Halloween City...to BUY the darn things. It's just easier that way. Sure, they are 20$ each, but the stress or lack of it is totally worth the money. EVERY year I cave. The thing is, by mid-October, most of the good stuff is gone. Mark my word...I WILL buy next year, and I WILL buy earlier.

Halloween City is a zoo. A gray, freaky zoo. There is blood everywhere, screaming monsters, spiders...for what? Honestly, that place felt very dark to me. I didn't like it at all. Halloween gives people the excuse to be dark for the day. It's ridiculous. There are hoochie cosumes for the grown woman who feels the need, right next to Ariel and Buzz/Woody.

I do NOT dress up. Ever. I am not vehemently opposed. I actually think my friends who do, look really cool. There is just too much pressure. And too much money. I cannot and will not spend 50$ on a one time thing. Nope. Dave's work has a family Halloween (do I really even need to capitalize that?) party every year. It's cool. Most departments decorate to the hilt. Not Dave's. It used to bother me. I didn't want people to think they were lame. This year I FINALLY got it. It is a massive waste of money. It's too much pressure to out-do the freak carnival from last year, or Hogwarts Express from 2 years ago. They still hand out candy. I'm cool with that. Well...kindof. The candy is a whole other monster. Candy at school. Candy at the work party. Candy at the ward trunk-or-treat. Candy from the neighbors. Candy coming out our ears.

Listen, I love my baby in a cute plush costume as much as the next person. I can put her in one any time though. I don't need candy, goblins, or jack-o-lanterns to do it.

Whew. That felt REALLY good.

12 comments:

Michelle said...

Amy, you make me laugh. I'm still your friend. I love Halloween for the symbol of fall, for the free candy and for the opportunity to be ANYTHING I want.

Now, that I'm an adult it doesn't have the same meaning, but I whole heartedly love fall and this holiday really marks the start of something great!

And if we had 5 kids, I'd probably hate it to. It IS expensive! This is the first year that I've bought a costume and I bought a small part of it and we're making do with the rest. I'm all about us sharing costumes to make it cheaper for everyone!

mj said...

I never knew you felt that way, I do too. It used to be so much different. Not so bloody or scarey. Except the governor's house. I don't think you ever went all the way in,did you? And about the costumes....your children always look adorable, as opposed to the Temples in their cheap almost papper ones. Can you remember how hot those awful masks were ?

MommyMert said...

yuppers... I am still your friend, but I have learned to love it. I used to not. I love it now because I love watching my kids get so excited. I love the fall festival bit of it. NONE OF THE SCARY bit floats my boat however, and the skanky stuff (boo on that) and the cross dresser stuff... (Whats up with that??) I do get sick of the candy but seriously, its fun! The orange lights, etc... the fun part of Halloween, that makes me giddy with excitement. This holiday is turning out to be just as expensive as Christmas though. 5 kids. OUCH on pricey costumes. Ooof. I have a cute book called "What is Halloween all about!" I think you need to read it. :)

emlizalmo said...

I actually love how excited my kids get. I really do. There is a great feeling in the air when we trick-or-treat. They are so cute, running up to every door. It makes me happy. The rest though...I could do without.

Rachel said...

I love you EVEN MORE for this post. I love fall, I HATE HALLOWEEN. I'm with you on ALL points. Carl and I are always glad that Emma was born around Halloween so that there's something we can enjoy. I'm all for turning out the lights so 'no one's home' and just hanging out with our own home-made yummies and a movie with the kids...now THAT sounds fun to me.

London said...

I will still be your friend, but I am one of those wierdies who fully LOVES Halloween. Always have. I did research on it when I was in college--it was for a paper. Long story short, I learned its origins and now love it even more. Yes, yes. This capitalistic world has destroyed the holy day. Really it is meant to be a holiday to reflect on your ancestors and on your blessings at this time of harvest.

Any ideas on how to encorperate THAT into the ward trunk or treat and not leave anyone disappointed? Yah, me either.

Ryan + Jess said...

I totally agree with you - an excuse to dress up slutty and spend WAY too much money on a costume you wear once. I am so glad I'm not the only one!!

emlizalmo said...

London...you're the main person I was thinking of when I mentioned people that look cool when they dress up! :)

Kris Tina said...

Well there goes my idea of showing up at the ward trunk or treat as a french maid. Thanks, thanks a lot.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm . . . . so i had to think long and hard about this one and finally decided yeah, we are definitely still friends. heehee I love your honesty actually. I can't say I hate it but I really don't love it. It really equals hassle to me. But the kids do love it, so . . . .

And I'll be honest. I never have the money to spend on cosumes so my kids are the same darn things every year--with a small twist here and there. Thank goodness they are so patient with me! Every year, November 1 they are planning on what they will be next year and every year I swear I'll have the money to do it for them. And I never do. Oh well. And this year it's on Sunday and here in SD they don't celebrate it on Saturday like they probably will in Provo and I am in a dilema. Perhaps that is silly but so be it. I'm stuck.

--kristin

emlizalmo said...

Oh NO! I think when I was younger, my parents let us go...back in DE. Not really sure. I don't know how I would handle that. Maybe a road trip to Provo? <3

Kimo said...

I'm in CT, and we have already decided to skip the Sunday night Trick-or-Treating, and keep the lights off so no one will come to our house asking for candy. We already have the school trick-or-treating on Friday, and the Ward Trunk-or-Treat on Saturday, so I think we will be covered. (We'll have way more candy than we will know what to do with!)

I love the fun parts of Halloween, the cute decorations, and fun costumes - I love making costumes for my kids, but I only have two, and this will be the first Halloween for one of them;). But, I agree that the holiday has become too dark and there is just too much blood and evil associated with it these days. I walked past the 'Halloween World' in the mall the other day, and was so glad I didn't have Sarah with me! I didn't even go in the store and I was disgusted by the window displays and the glimpse I had through the open door. Imagine a five year old walking past that! I could just imagine her staring eyes, unable to look away...

I think I will avoid the mall for the rest of the month - I wish I could avoid it for my whole life;).