Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I'm sleepy...


(Me, Tracy and Mom, around 1975...WIDE awake)

I'm not sleeping well lately. Let me fill you in here...I do not have trouble sleeping...EVER. Unless I am stressed about missing a flight, I have a race the next morning, or I am 8 months pregnant with miserable heartburn. None of those things are concerning me right now. Generally, I will fall asleep less than 60 seconds after my head hits the pillow, then right back to sleep if somehing wakes me up. I love to sleep. I need sleep.

A few months ago, I had a 3-4 week spell where I was having trouble. I thought maybe my half marathon looming in the near future was giving me anxiety. I also thought it was my runs with Tara early each morning. Was she going to make me go fast? Far? The half marathon came and went, my runs with Tara got easier (or I got stronger), and the sleep troubles went away.

They are now back and have been for about a week and 1/2. I am not stressed about anything. Not my runs. Not my calling. Not my family. I wake up to go to the bathroom 2-3 times a night (I know...maybe I should lay off the fluids after 6 pm). After I get up, I start to worry that I won't be able to doze off. Nothing else is in my head, just worry about falling asleep. I tried switching pillows, covering my bright alarm clock with a rag. I don't want to resort to sleeping pills, because I know I will become dependent. I KNOW I will. My cute friend Brittney introduced me to sleeping with a fan my junior year of high school, and now I have to tote one on vacation with me. Anyhow, last night was better. I got 7 hours. I got up early to run and actually felt ok. Keep your fingers crossed for me.


Dave left early for church on Sunday. Like 7:30 am early. I told him I REALLY needed to sleep, so he asked the kids to keep things in order around the house. They did a great job. Margaret was even quiet. Molly was NOT. She came in my room 4 times, scaring the living snot out of me with her face 2 inches from mine, to tattle, cry after a fall...whatever. One time when she snuck in, I faked like I was still asleep. She put this paper on my dresser. Keep in mind...she is 4 and in preschool. I could tell exactly what it said...but let me help you out:



Alex is being mean and not sharing the ipad. I am being nice. Molly
You are nice. Amy



I laughed out loud and blew my cover. Isn't she great?

11 comments:

Michelle said...

Shucks. Sorry about the sleep thing. I love my sleep, too and I would be pretty bugged. Get up and be productive, is my advice. At least then you can be proud of something you've done in the quiet hours.

Also, adorable letter. I love that Molly.

London said...

Molly is a doll. I too go in and out of different states of sleep deprivation. I hate not being able to sleep. Usually I whip out my scriptures or something and start reading. Usually it takes about 15 minutes and my eyes are tired again.

sarahandmatt said...

Amy! Molly is so smart! I think it's hard to gauge that kind of stuff when you don't have a kid the same age. Jack is four and in preschool and he can barely write his name, let alone sound out words! I know it's a bummer to get woken up, but Wow! Smart girl.

P.S. Matt's Mom takes half of a tylenol pm and swears by it. Maybe that's a low enough dose to help?

MommyMert said...

BAHAHAHAHA!!! Thats cute! Sorry about the sleep thing.

Tami Anderson said...

I have to say that I read the entire letter from "Molly". Only, I thought it was something you had scanned in from your childhood...you know, the "Amy" kind of threw me.

I'll take Molly in my class right now if you'd let me. Well, you AND the LAW!!

I have been blessed with "magic teacher eyes" and can read just about anything the children write. I am grateful for this talent. :)

Kris Tina said...

Perhaps you are so excited for Halloween that you just can't wait for it to happen. Oh wait . . .

Melissa Yergensen said...

Oh man that little girl is so dang smart! And it helps that your older girls are amazing little teachers. I like London's advice, kind of makes me giggle though ... just read your scriptures - those are sure to knock you right out! heehee

Rachel said...

I'm sorry about sleeping problems. I empathize with you. That Molly is a smarty pants, though, I tell you! I loved that.

Lisa said...

I agree with Kris Tina....funny. You know I have sleep problems. Maybe it's a Temple thing. I usually have to take half of a Walmart brand sleeping pill if I want to be able to go back to sleep. Otherwise, I wake up at 3 or 4 and I'm done for. Sleep deprivation stinks!!

Kristin said...

LOL!!! I burst out laughing. Molly. Love her.

That stinks about the sleep. I can't function without it. My sister Kim can. She cleans her house until 2 am and is up to do her daughter's hair so cute and make oatmeal and be totally funtioning in the morning. Not me. I sleep till the last possible minute. Every morning. No excercise is happening here btw. I hope you figure it out Amy. I wish I could help. But I just don't know. Maybe you are worried about sleeping in and not getting up to go run with Tara? Seems unlikely since you've been doing it for so long. I don't know.

Payne said...

Hi again. I hope Lisa's not right and it's not a Temple thing but I think she's right. Mom does the same thing. Ugh ugh ugh. Dad says drinking some warm milk will help. Oh, and I'm sure you already know this but sleeping through the night is less likely if a nap is taken during the day. I'm sure you don't have time for that, but sometimes even a small nap will mess things up.