Thursday, October 21, 2010

rest day...

Sorry...it's a picture of my feet. Ew. I just have to show what running has done to my cute, tan, painted in mango, feet. Second and third toenails on the left foot went black, then fell off. Second and fourth on the right...same story. I've gone to see my foot doctor friend, who has actually pulled 2 of them off. Turns out, I get blood blisters under my nails when I run for a long time. Shoes fit just fine...thanks for asking though. When I step forward to land on my heel, my toes over-extend a little, lightly tapping the tops of my shoes...every 2 seconds...sometimes for 15-16 miles. Small price to pay, I guess. They look really pitiful. At this point, I am painting my flesh with nailpolish, so as not to draw too much attention to their toenail-less-ness. Sad.

Dr. Jared is concerned about my bunions, especially the one on my left foot. I have had them all my life. My mom has them, and her mother had them too. The curse of Elizabeth Lilley. They have never bothered me...at all. They really haven't. They're ugly, I realize that, but they have never hurt or inhibited me in any way. Until recently. Dr. Jared was surprised that they have never bugged me. He pushed on them from underneath to show me how my range of motion in my big toes will eventually go away. He has said that as soon as they start to hurt, I need to get them operated on. The first time he mentioned that, I thought, "OK...I'll call you when I'm 50." The next time I went in, I swore that the one on the left was bigger. He did some x-rays and was once again surprised there was no pain. A week later, on an 8 mile run with Tara, I felt it. Not pain, just a tiny ache. I noticed my bunion for the first time in my life. It has bothered me a tiny bit since. It isn't keeping me from running, but it worries me...a lot. IF I DO need surgery, I need to do it soon. I have a marathon in May that I will need months to train for. Do I wait, see how it feels over the next few months? Then what if it is too late? My mom and sister have said the recovery bites. I cried to Dave the other day about it. You see, running is working for me right now. It is keeping me thin, keeping me happy, helping my self confidence. If I have to stop for a few months, where will that leave me? Will Tara find a new running partner? Will I have to start from scratch and teach myself to run again? Will I get fat? I know...chill out, right. I don't want to. I've been the big girl for many years now. That just ISN'T ME though. If I can't run, how can I maintain my weight? I'm doomed. For now, I'm just crossing my fingers that I forget that bunion is even there.

On to today. I am tired. I'm not sleeping well. I wake up at 3 or 4 nearly every day to go to the bathroom, then can never really fall back asleep. I am a sleeper! I can fall asleep in seconds, anywhere, and stay asleep. What is this mess?! My legs are tired. I think I have strained my quads a little. Could be the mileage I am putting in. Could be the exercise videos Tara and I do. Could be the 16 miles of hills we did last week. Whatever it is, they hurt. I can still run, but after 7 miles, they feel as though they still aren't warmed up. I know I need to rest them just a bit. SO, Tara has had a headaches the past few days, and I am resting. I don't like it. I really don't. I know I have to do it, but I don't have to like it. I have been running 5-6 days a week for months now. Partly because I like it, and partly because I feel like I have to. I'm kindof OK with it today. I KNOW that 2 days off will not hurt my endurance, my weight, my speed. None of it. I just need to hang tight. Next week will be better. I'm sure of it.

11 comments:

mj said...

So sorry about your feet.I know it worriesd you about running. Maybe you felt your bunion because it was in your mind at the time. I wouldn't do anything yet.

Tami Anderson said...

I hate to tell you but (and don't hate me)...you are getting older my dear. Our bodies grow older no matter what we do. Sleep is the first thing to get messed up.

That's all I have to say about that.

Tara James said...

You are stuck with me now. I am not going anywhere. You are such a fabulous friend and I am grateful everyday that I can count on you...

Michelle said...

Oh amy. You are awesome. A couple days won't hurt. I say get that bunion taken out now, then you'll be closer to recovery by the time training starts. maybe you can run with me a little bit since we know I'll surely still be slow in January.

Kami Schultz said...

Allow me a few comments...

First, are you keeping your toenails short? Like ugly short? That's the only thing that helps my nails from bruising like that and falling off.

Second, if it's something that's pretty inevitable, then I say get those bunions out NOW. Don't wait. Do it next week, seriously! Then you don't have to worry about them ever again--and you know that you have YEARS of running and marathons ahead of you. :) Winter is approaching, and we all naturally cut back when it's too cold to run outside to run for more than an hour (not to mention the AWFUL air quality here in winter).

Third, you're awesome! A true runner. I've had those same thoughts before--wanting to push myself to the max. But sometimes the best thing you can do for your body is backing off a little (think quality, not quantity). The extra rest will do your body MORE good than any extra training! Try running 4 days a week and do some other cross-training the other 2. It seriously will keep you strong and rejuvenated and help prevent injuries.

Just my opinions on things. Whatever you do will be the best decision for you, I'm SURE! :)

London said...

Agreed with all of the above. I am no expert when it comes to feet, so no comments there. But I think I know awesome when I see it, and it is you! I'm sick and can understand your not liking to rest--it seems strange, but when resting is what you need it is often the hardest thing to do. Best of luck.

Krista said...

Have you read "Born To Run" - about barefoot running? I'm sure it wouldn't be smart to do ALL your crazy miles of running "barefoot", but the concept really makes sense. I don't know anything about bunions, and Dr. Jared might disagree with the idea. But, it has completely ended my problems with high arches and the pain I used to get from running and wearing flip-flops. Just a thought, and I'd be interested to find out if it helps. It's just a thought.....I just know how devastating injury can be when you're so passionate about something and surgery is such an unpredictable solution.

emlizalmo said...

I HAVE read it. I loved it. Do you wear the Vibram 5 fingers? My problem is bone that has shifted. They won't repair themselves, they will just continue to get worse. I'm stressed, but not terribly. I'm loving all the pictures from your drive. :) Are you SO glad that is over?

Kristin said...

I'm sorry Amy. Hugs--you are amazing.

Payne said...

Amy, just read all your recent posts. i wonder...could you be...maybe you are...

I just know during the first few weeks of my pregnancies, I get a bit of insomnia...

emlizalmo said...

Oh Carey Cecilia...good heavens no! :) 5 is it. Absolutely it. HA!