Sunday, March 30, 2008

and your point is?

I haven't blogged in a few days, and was feeling the itch. I really don't have much to say, but since I am now basically considering this my "journal", I need to write. I wish I could be as great and hilarious with the everyday stuff as some of my friends, but I'm not, and I guess that's ok. Here's what I have to say...
Lizzy is sick today. She is so sad when she's sick. She's a touch on the dramatic side...hmmm...maybe from her mama. Anyhow, we tried shopping yesterday, just the twins and I. We were in search of some great slip-on (non-flip-flop) summer shoes and the perfect 2008 swimsuits. After about an hour and 3 stores, Lizzy had had it. She was lethargic, burning up, and sad. Any mother in her right mind would have said, "hey, let's finish this another day", but I was on a mission, and that mission included going home with shoes, suits, and maybe even some capris. I'm so sorry Lizzy. We actually did OK...shoes for both and some great capris from Mervyn's (sometimes that store is ON, sometimes they're off...yesterday they were on...AND on SALE). By the time we made our decision, I was incoherent. I was sweaty, my feet were killing me(don't wear boots when serious shopping is on the agenda), and I almost didn't CARE what they picked. I said ALMOST. Nothing to die for, but nothing I'm embarrassed for them to wear. This picture is from a few weeks ago. Lizzy = sad, Dave = comforting. He is SO good at that.
Warmer weather means trampoline time. Dave wants the thing gone before we are sued by some neighbor for their child sneaking into our yard, playing with our stuff, and breaking something. Anyhow, Molly was jumping the other day. This is the first time she has really "gotten" it. She actually gets some air, AND keeps her balance. She's protective though. She wants the whole trampoline. We just sit on the grass and laugh at her. Wouldn't you?

For baths the other night, these 2 wanted to wear their swimsuits in the tub. Whatever. Sounds fun. It really was. They were having a great time...until I got too worked up about the splashing and the water on the floor. It's water...wipe it up. What is wrong with me? I can't do the "mess" thing. I have to leave the house for pumpkin carving and easter egg dying. Really. I love these kids so much and want them to have a great, memorable childhood, just not a dirty one. Yesterday I chewed Alex out for climbing under the tramp (to retrieve his shoe that "fell") and getting his t-shirt dirty. I instantly regretted it. How can I lighten up? Any suggestions?

Alex is now a wolf. I am so proud of him. He was proud too. And HELLO...could he be any cuter in that hat? I am so grateful for the scouting program. He is so enthusiastic about it. It teaches these boys such valuable lessons.
Enough rambling for you? I'll try to think of something wittier for next time!
*FUNNY...while Emily was in the dressing room trying on swimsuits, she boogied. I'm not kidding, with each new suit, she wiggled and danced in front of the mirror. If you want to know why this was so funny to me, check out my "jump-rope" entry. Like mother like daughter!



11 comments:

Christy said...

your family is so cute and your pictures are awesome I love the pic with the girls in the bath. I am also a clean freak Amy, I don't think there is a cure, but I do realize that I am not going to frame her clothes, and they will get ruined some other way and they grow out of stuff so fast its no use. If that is our only fault great, were not selling drugs, we just like a clean house and cute looking kids. so what!

Kara said...

Amy, you know I'm the same with the cleanliness. However, my parents always remind me that "It's just good clean dirt!" (they grew up on ranches) and that "boys will be boys" (and sometimes girls will be girls?) I think I'm learning to relax a little about it. The paints and play-dough don't come out at our house very often though, so I need to work on that. I still remember being at my Relief Society President's house in Orem (she had raised 10 children of her own and 6 more with her second husband) and a group of us were there making some biscuits or something with flour. One of the moms had a little boy there who got into it and got it all over himself and the countertop. The RS President just laughed and said that's what vacuums are for and sucked it all up with the machine. I'd love to be one of those moms.

O family said...

Amy, I completely understand about the clean thing. For some reason, I spazz out when Quinn gets really messy. It is funny, I just has to write a paper for one of my classes and basically I realized that I just like control. When she gets dirty or messy, I don't have that "order" that I like. Does this make sense? I just try to relax some. Easier said than done huh?

brittany said...

who's bathroom is that clean anyway??? isn't that what you just said to me like two days ago or something? looks like yours is.

love the pictures of the kids, of course.

Michelle said...

First of all, all of those pictures are great. I LOVE the one in the bathtub - you are such a good photographer. I have no advice on raising children or lightening up. My mom let us carve pumpkins and dye easter eggs, but we had "smocks" (my dad's old dress shirts) we had to wear, and she put brown paper bags down everwhere to clean up the mess really fast. I guess what I would say is messes can be cleaned up, but if you never did it, there wouldn't be the memories.

MommyMert said...

My Mom's favorite saying is... "They may never remember what I taught them, but they will always remember the way that I made them feel!" I try to remember that when I say things, or react. I dont always do well, but hey-- Kids can only be kids once--enjoy it! :) (Easier said than done though... :P) I actually dont mind having dirty kids, cause they clean, as do most clothes... I mind it on my furniture, etc.. Much harder to clean and replace. Thats when I get upset!

Rachel said...

I have no advice, just some comfort in knowing that I'm the same way. For me, it's a stress thing...clutter and dirt stress me out! Doesn't mean my house is spotless but I understand your feelings!

Krista said...

You have such a cute family! I hear you on having a clean childhood. It hasn't been too hard with my girls, but this little boy is testing me. I have a feeling the next few years will be pretty dirty.

emlizalmo said...

Um...I think you're right!

Lady said...

I would love to sit and laugh at Molly while she jumps on the tramp. She has a contagious smile!

mj said...

This might be my favorite entry so far.It is so me !!!! I remember those"missions",and nothing would stop me.You kids could have been throwing up and I'd probably say"don't worry about it,just keep your hand over your mouth and hold it in,we have to get those shoes or whatever" It was like I was possessed.Sorry I passed that gene on to you.