Thursday, March 20, 2008

1980 something...


My mom scanned this slide and put it on our family website this morning. It made me laugh out loud, and nearly cry at the same time.
Nope, not my grandparents...my dad's Uncle Woody and Aunt Bess. Man, did I love them. Uncle Woody was like sunshine. Happy, gentle, wonderful. We would sometimes go see them when we visited Grandmother and Pop in good old Nitro, West Virginia. The older lady with the glasses IS my grandmother...Inez Temple. She was a gem. Oh how we loved going to Wva for visits with them. I can remember the sounds, the smells, all of it. I think we were a slighly rowdy bunch for my quiet, reserved grandparents, but I know they loved having us there. We would perform in the driveway (to the tune of STAR CHILD...an LDS musical), walk to Ben Franklins with a whopping dime in our hands, skip down the bumpy sidewalks to the park, float newspaper boats down the stream, pick apples for applesauce. Grandmother really did make the best applesauce.


The handsome guy with the dark hair is my Dad. I know, he's REALLY handsome. My friends used to tell me that when I was younger, which completely freaked me out. Dad? Handsome? He was and is though. Aside from a few teenage years where I didn't want much to do with my dad, he has been one of my truest friends. A constant. Even when I would push him away in my smart mouthed, hairsprayed, pimple faced days, he would still hug me. Every day. I would be stiff as a board, pulling away, but he would hug me. He wanted me to remember how much he loved me. He's the greatest. We are alot alike, my dad and I. We share alot of similar passions. I'm so glad he's my dad.


Not much to say about the rest of us in the picture. What a crew. Laura and Rachel can still pull of the "I'm cute with my crazy hair and missing teeth" thing...Tracy and I ...not so much. I love my parents for letting us be who we wanted to be. I realize now how tough that must have been. The amount of AQUA NET that was used in our little bathroom probably wiped out my dads bank account. Our outfits are radical. I love the matching scarf/skirt thing that Tracy is sporting. I love my collar. My sweater vest. My swooped bangs. Yowza.


Man, I loved those 80's. Even more though, I love this family of mine.

12 comments:

Michelle said...

This is an awesome picture. Makes me want to find some old classics and blog about the past. I love that old family pictures make you think about how much you love being a part of your family. Though, my 1990 something picturs aren't nearly as sweet as this little beauty here.

MommyMert said...

I love the family picture. You are quite the beauty my friend!

laurag said...

that made me cry amy. it's so sweet what you said about dad and I totally agree. We're so blessed to have mom and dad, grandmother and pop, and grandy and grampy. Can't wait to see them again. THanks also for reminding me of the name of the disgusting hair spray we basically coated ourselves in every day. Three cheers to aqua net!
p.s. Michele you're out of your mind thinking your pictures aren't as cute of you when you were little. They make me hurt they're so darn sweet and cute.

emlizalmo said...

Different Michelle, Laura. That was my friend Michelle from my ward, not mvs. What have you been drinking!?

Krista said...

Amy - you are SMOKIN' hot!! That is a cute picture - Any chance you still have that vest? Can I borrow it?

emlizalmo said...

It might have some moth holes...but SURE!

mj said...

Love your "take" on the picture. It sure does bring back great memories,doesn't it? Luckily,we don't remember that we probably had a quarrel or two on the way there. Those long car rides could be rough.

Kristin said...

Sounds so idyllic--your memories from WVA. Simple. Great childhood memories. Love the picture. And yeah, your dad is handsome!! :-)

Amazing what those hugs can do for you--even when we don't want to admit it as crazy kids--those hugs are what keep us in, the anchor that keeps us grounded to our families. Which is so what it is all about! Great post, Amy!

And I can't remember the last time i thought about aqua net!! Ha . ."it was 1980 something . . ." Great song.

laurag said...

oops...I should have seen that. hehe. Well I'm sure it's the same for the other michele too...

Kimo said...

Awesome pic! It was so fun to see you four girls in your raw natural (as natural as you can be shellacked in Aqua Net) beauty! Seeing your and Tracy's hairstyles took me back to my teen years in the 80's and my own hairspray days (I think I had bangs about a mile high at some point.)

O family said...

Amy, what you said about Grandpa made me tear up. He is SUCH a wonderful man. You guys are SO VERY LUCKY and blessed to have him as a Father. Love him and love all of you with your horrible outfits that you used to put me in :) oh and Laura, thanks for telling me I was a cute kid :)

Lady said...

I love this picture! It's funny because when I think of you or Tracy or Rachel and Laura - this is what you look like in my mind. It's not what you look like now because I hardly see you in your adult state - it's what I remember seeing every day at seminary, mutual, church dances etc... - ok maybe I visualize a little less bangs! :)