Wednesday, March 12, 2008

oh...the outfits...


OK...so this is a huge step for me. I let my kids out of the house, in public, around the block...in outfits of their own choosing. What's the big deal, right? Wrong. This is a huge deal for me. I'm a bit controlling by nature, and I want my kids to look cute and put-together all the time. I want to be able to look at them and think...mmm...how cute, I'm so glad they're mine. I remember a few years ago, when my sister Lisa was visiting, she asked the girls if they liked dressing the same. Emily's answer said it all...mommy gets mad if we don't. I finally let go of the twin matching thing when Molly was born, but I can't seem to let go of picking out their outfits. It's not that they fight me on what they wear...trust me, I would win every time, but there's something they want to wear, and I'm saying no for no good reason. So, I've started saying yes. I'm thinking I may need to go through their wardrobes and eliminate all possible nightmare combinations. Who can afford that though? Wish me luck...

8 comments:

Kimo said...

I LOVE IT! I am totally the same way! I love the photo.

Rachel said...

I think I'll be the same way when Ethan gets old enough to tell me what he wants to wear or buy...I already do that a little bit with other things. I think it's a natural part of mothering!

laurag said...

May the force be with you amy...I don't know, maybe you could, ummmm, I don;t know b/c I know I'll be the same way with elsie, actually already amd and the poor girls only 2. All she ever wantes to wear though are frompy dresses, which she thinks she looks like a princess in, or stripes (leggings). I've considered burning them, but don't want to throw away $, so I pretty much give in half the time but I then narrow down top choices for he to choose from. Let me know what you come up with amy, we could sure use the help out here to...he

brittany said...

you make me laugh, mostly because it sounds so much like me. i don't know that i'll ever be able to let them pick what they want. at this point, lily can wear whatever she wants while we are at home, but if we are going somewhere she knows she has to put on what i say. i am sure there will come a day when i have to let go. i'll have to call you for moral support when that day comes. they are still adorable! i especially love the purple socks, blue shoes and hot pink sunglasses. that girl is adorable!

O family said...

I think that it is so great that you are letting your kids dress themselves. I mean, it is a sign of who they are and afterall, don't you want them to really have a firm grasp on their identity?!??! yeah, easier said than done I imagine when your kid is running around IN PUBLIC looking like a clown! :) I can't wait for the days!

Michelle said...

Let them show their creativity, I say! Or perhaps hold a class on "what matches". Let them be themselves, pretty soon they may care TOO MUCH about what they look like and what other people think they look like in public. Maybe if we relax a little, they won't be too worried about what other people think!

MommyMert said...

I think you are cute--I would love to be able to make Alexa wear everything I want her to, but she really has a mind of her own, and I guess.. I love that she is confident enough to wear what she wants (ie: sparkle shoes, "princess" dresses, some kind of hat, and winter gloves). I think you will love this picture, and think.. mm... those are mine (even if their clothes dont match! :)--Look at Molly.. hehehe)

mj said...

You are just like me. I had so much trouble letting you guys pick out your own outfits. BUT after looking at the old slides,I must have let you choose more than I thought. Plus the fact that styles WERE different then.