Not sure if this is the appropriate place to share these thoughts, but I need to write them somewhere. Alex got a sweet letter from my Dad in the mail today. I've told you about my Dad and his beautiful words before. I don't think there is anyone who can write more beautifully than him. His council to Alex...
"How is Junior High? It is where teenagers go to school. So, I guess you are a teenager! Hang on! Sometimes teen years are like a boat ride down the Provo River in spring time - waves, white water - lots of opportunities to crash. Well, I know you won't - if you hold to the iron rod. It will keep you safe and dry."
I really, really love this. Especially since it is something that I've been thinking a lot about lately. I have challenged myself to read the Book of Mormon by the middle of October. I started a month and 1/2 ago. In my readings, I came across something. I KNOW I've read it many, many times, but this time I heard something different. I was reading from 1st Nephi, about Lehi's dream...the tree of life, the iron rod. It talks about "numberless concourses of people pressing forward, that they might obtain the path which led unto the tree by which I stood...And it came to pass that there arose a mist of darkness; yea, even an exceedingly great mist of darkness, insomuch that they who had commenced in the path did lose their way, that they wandered off and were lost."
It speaks of others who were able to pass through the darkness by pressing forward, continually holding onto the rod of iron. Here is what I learned from this little section of Lehi's dream. It is not enough to WANT to get to the tree. It is not enough to walk on the path that leads there. Darkness will come. Challenges. Temptations. Struggles. They WILL come, and if all we are doing is walking on the path that leads the right way, we will become confused and lost. Our only hope is the rod. Yes, the path is good. It leads to the tree, but it isn't sufficient. There is no protection there. Holding to the rod, the words of God, the scriptures, will provide us the safety we so desperately want for ourselves and our families. I feel like I am a good person, who tries to do what is right. I go to church. I serve others. I take care of my family. It isn't enough. My life, my mind, my heart...they need to be filled with good and righteousness. I need to be holding tighter.



10 comments:
Thanks for that ,Amy. Alex is lucky to have such a good and sweet grandfather.
So do I. I love you for this reminder..and for so many other reasons.
This is beautiful! I love the way you explained what I thought I already knew. It is wonderful to be able to see these great lessons from anothers prospective....thanks
So so so beautifully put. It gave me chills reading this because it spoke to me. I can do better. Thank you for being my example tonight.
I love that! What a great way to explain it. (I'm not LDS, but I've heard of "hold to the rod" at my work place) We have a painting at our office by James Christensen that is about the Iron Rod, we get a ton of compliments/questions/remarks about it. I love the way your Dad put it though. Junior High can be rough, I'm sure your son is in good hands with your family! :)
Very cool Amy since this has been on my mind lately too. I am rereading the Book of Mormon too and am using the seminary student study guide. It is wonderful. I am in Alma and there is a quote from Pres. Benson about "The Power of the Word." He says, "when individual members and families immerse themselves in the scriptures regularly and consistently, other areas of activity will automatically come. Testimonies will increase. Commitment will be strengthend. Families will be fortified. Personal revelation will flow." I know this is a long response, but isn't that what we all need-- personal revelation? Love this quote! Lisa
Hi, Amy. What wise words. I truly believe there are so many things to hold onto. I need to do better, too. Joel is great. We love you all.
Amen.
Thanks for uplifting me this morning. You are wonderful.
So is Alex. What a wonderful thing to receive from his grandfather. I love it.
(and that picture on the side bar of miss Margie . . . oh my goodness. I can't stop there though. They are all beautiful. Of course.)
Thank you, Amy. I love this. Your dad's letter to Alex, your thoughts...and the reminder that I need to hold a little tighter. Thanks. Love you.
Thank you! I think we all need to be reminded to hold on tighter. We are all doing so much I think we forget to do the basics. And I just love your dad! He is so kind and wise.
Post a Comment