Friday, October 3, 2008

I love my dad...


Yesterday was a rough day for Emily. She came home from school quite teary. Just one of those days where she felt lonely. Noone played with her at recess. I was happy to have her home though, so I could remind her how great she is, how much people like her. I wasn't really making things better though, until I remembered that she got a special letter in the mail. Addressed just to Emily. From her Grandpa. Her smile instantly found it's way back to her sweet little face. She was so happy. She felt so important. My dad writes a lot of letters. It's kind of his thing. I remember getting them all through college, and still now. I treasure them and have them all saved. Each one is filled with reminders of how special I am, how important I am, what I need to do to always remember that. I have some tucked away in my scriptures. Some in my journal. Some in special drawers. He is inspired...I know he is. He seems to be keenly aware of what I need and when I need it. He knows if I need to be pushed, or if I need loving, gentle support. He just knows.

A few days ago, he must have known that my Emily would need his thoughtful words. I don't know...maybe letters for the others are on the way. All I know is Emily was the lone recipient yesterday, just exactly when she needed to be.

9 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm all choked up. So sweet. My dad sent me letters all the time, too. I treasure them. I miss them. Now that he's gone when I need a little pick me up, I find one. I remember that life is okay again.

Kristin said...

What a good, good man. Poor Emily . . .sorry she had a lousy day.

mj said...

He is a wonderful man !! How blessed we are to have him as husband,friend,Dad,grandpa,and great grandpa.I love that they are so important to you.

sarahandmatt said...

I must be pregnant. I actually cried! Your Dad is sweet. Aren't we lucky to have our Dads?

Christina & Andrew said...

He really is inspired, huh? Gosh, I love that grandpa of mine. Such a sweet, loving man.

O family said...

This made me tear up too. I just love him and love his random notes. I have saved everyone that he has sent Quinn. She will completely treasure them someday.

brittany said...

what a great surprise for her! i love that he writes you guys letters. that is so sweet.

April Kennedy said...

It's April Kennedy from Napa, CA. I came here via Brittany and Dan's blog. Hope you don't mind that I lurk. I love your dad too. He gave Dave and I such beautiful blessings when we were newly married, having just moved cross country with no family. Dave was leaving for Kuwait (he was in the Air Force) and I swear it was like we got a second patriarchal blessing. It was amazing. Very in tune!

I would love to know if Laura has a blogspot and if she doesn't, would you please beg her to start one on my behalf! Thanks! And, you have a beautiful family.

coconutmama said...

So so sweet. Such a simple letter that says so much! You have a wise and very thoughtful Dad!