Sunday, May 2, 2010

my saturday story...

After race #1 in March (31:38), I knew I needed to try another 5k. The feelings I had after the race was over were amazing. I was euphoric. I had endorphins rushing through me. I was proud of my accomplishment. I felt like I could tackle just about anything. It feels really, REALLY good. Melissa and I and all our other 5k girlfriends decided on the run13 5k benefiting a school for Autism Spectrum Disorder. Little did we know that our sweet friend Lisa's son Caleb attended that school. :)
Melissa and I went to pick up our packets on Friday night. She mentioned that she was worried about the dreary weather...that it may prevent her from doing what she was hoping to do. What are you hoping to do, Melissa? In my mind I'm thinking maybe 30 minutes. After our last race, we just wanted to finish the next one in under 31. I was off...by 3 minutes! She wanted to run the darn thing in under 27 minutes! I have never been able to do it that fast. My personal best was 28:58...on a treadmill. She had done it in the 27's a few times, but I was thinking she was crazy. I only started running again 4 months ago...and I'm NOT a runner. Well, maybe I'm becoming one, but I'm not one yet. I was discouraged. I wanted to run with her, the whole way, yet I knew it just wasn't possible for me. I wasn't sure HOW the next day would go. I knew I could finish. I've been running 4-6 miles a day/6 days a week. Finishing wasn't the problem. It was finishing fast.
I didn't sleep very well that night. I went to bed at about 11:30, then woke up at 3. Never really settled down after that. The race was at 8:15, and I was anxious. Really anxious. I'm telling myself the anxiety isn't worth it. I guess if I can figure out how to channel that into energy, it is. Dave and I picked up Melissa at 7:30 and headed over. My anxiety was slowly fading. I was getting pumped.

We met up with all of our cute friends before we started. Kristin (finished in 35 minutes...shaving 5 minutes off her last race!), Melissa, April and her daughter Kelsey, me, and Jodi (These 3 walked it...and I am so proud of them. Huge goal and they all accomplished it!

The weather was horrid. It was 40 degrees at the most. It was raining then hailing...the entire time. About halfway through, my hands were numb. Melissa and I started off together. We decided that she would just go for it. After about 100 yards, she did. She took off ahead of me. Ends up it was great though. I watched her the whole time. I kept her in my sites. The run wasn't terrible. I needed an ipod and an umbrella, but it wasn't terrible. I told myself that even the fastest runners hurt when they push themselves. They run through it. I got a pain in my side at the halfway point but knew it would fade if I just kept running. So I did. I checked my watch at the halfway point too. I couldn't believe my time. I just needed to keep up the pace.

I did my best to sprint that last 2-300 yards. I heard a cheer from our sweet friends Michelle and Kami on the sideline and that gave me a burst. Then...I saw Melissa. At the finishing line. She was waiting for me. I ran as hard as I could. I really did. Pressed the stop button on my watch right as I crossed the line, looked down, and this is what I saw. (I actually couldn't clear the time off my watch until his morning. Too freaking excited!) I was floored. Seriously!? My best time ever. 53 seconds behind Melissa, nearly 4 minutes faster than our last race. I know SO many of you can run faster than this, but I never have. Melissa beat her goal too...by 10 seconds! We kindof collapsed/hugged/sobbed together. We celebrated eachother and our accomplishments. She is such a dear friend. I don't know what the next race will bring, but this one was perfect. I wanted to shout it from the rooftops. I had smashed my goal. That feels SO good. I prayed so hard the night before...that I would have strength, endurance, confidence. And I did. All of them.


My official time was actually 27:43 even. No 50/100th's. 6th in my age group (women). 103/381 (men and women). Yay Amy! :)

12 comments:

Kylie said...

That is SOOOOOOO exciting! Good job!

Christina & Andrew said...

I am SO proud of you! You're awesome :)

mj said...

Keep it up!!!!!What a great feeling it must be. I don't think you can get that many other ways,and it probably will get easier (especially the jitters the night before)

Ryan + Jess said...

You are an INSPIRATION!! That is such a great story. Wow. I can't wait to get back in shape after this little one pops out.

And we are on for a lunch date as soon as I'm down there :)

Payne said...

Yay!! Way to go, Amy. What an accomplishment. Keep it up!

laurag said...

Amy, what have you turned yourself into? You are an exercise nazi! I am absolutely stunned and amazed that you're doing all of this, and continuously getting better and better each and every time. I am so inspired by you. By the way, you and your friend look soooooooooo skinny and gorgeous and happy. WOW. You are motivating me, and it's exactly what I need right now.

sarahandmatt said...

So proud of you, Amy! You are teaching your children about determination, setting goals and reaching them and so many other things. Your whole family will benefit from your hard work!

O family said...

Amy-
I think that your time is INCREDIBLE! I wish that I had half of the determination for running that you have. It really is awesome! Congrats.

dixie said...

Wahoo Amy! You are amazing and a real inspiration to me. Thanks for sharing.

Michelle said...

So proud of you Amy. Reading this post makes me want to write one of my own, after I run my 5k. Hope it's soon.

Anonymous said...

Oh Amy--what a great story. I loved it! SO proud of you and Melissa for smashing (great verbage) your time. Awesome. You guys inspire me to keep on trying. Thank you.

--Kristin

Anonymous said...

Oh and those are some fantastic pictures. All of them, You both look so skinny.

--kris