Tuesday, October 13, 2009

salt in the wound?

So Alex ran in from walking home yesterday, crying that he had paralyzed his finger. He was so worried. I took a look and he had really done a number. He and a kid down the street (not one of yours Kristin :)) had a play scufle and both started to fall. Abraham lost his balance and fell on Alex's hand. It popped his finger out of socket. The knuckle where the finger meets the hand. Huge indent where his knuckle was supposed to be. I pulled his shirt down over it and tried to pop it back. No luck...and he cried. It hurt. I wasn't quite sure what to do. He was pretty worked up. I guess I was too, though I tried really hard to keep my cool. He lost all the color in his face, so I took him out to the couch and had him lie down. Called Dave and my Dad to figure out what to do. The pediatricians office had too many patients and couldn't fit him in. I was livid and hung up on the receptionist. Dave hurried home and took him to the instacare. After being there for 2+ hours and getting and x-ray and a numbing shot, his hand was fixed. Good as new. He came home telling me it was way more fun than he thought it would be. :) His biggest concern...kids teasing him at school. He wanted to stay home but had told Timothy he would be there today. He was torn and teary. UNTIL...Dave told him he looked like Anakin Sywalker.


The girls spent the few hours that he was gone making posters, books, cards. They love him and were so sad that he was hurt. As soon as the Frey's walked in our house this morning, Alex was showing Jonathan how cool his splint was. Guess today is going to be ok.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh amy, bless his little heart. Sweet, sweet boy. I can't beleive the peds office couldn't fit him in!!! His sisters are so cute--it's neat watching them take care of each other.

--kristin

April Kennedy said...

oh I hope he is feeling like new soon. And next time....just go pop into a fire station...they are happy to help...no charge!

Vanessa said...

Wow Amy, how do you raise them to love each other like that? It's remarkable. So glad Alex is ok!

sarahandmatt said...

sweet guy. I'm glad he's okay. Pretty brave of you to try to pop it back in! I think I'd be too scared. Oh, and BEAUTIFUL family pics! I love them! It's so fun to add a new little one to the family pic, isn't it?

Lisa said...

I agree with Sarah. I would have been too afraid to pop it back in myself. And that doctor's office... grrrr...is all I can say. Glad he likes the Skywalker look. Such a cute kid.

Rachel said...

What a stressful situation for Alex and Mom! I'd have hung up on the receptionist, too...after a few nice words. :) So glad things worked out...and I LOVE that Dave knew just what to say to make him happy!

laurag said...

That's a brilliant idea April! I am so sorry Alex got hurt, but the part about Anakin - brilliant. Sounds like something I might say to Elsie, if I can throw in that she looks like any princess into ANY conversation, or that I'm pretty positive Cinderella wears her hair JUST LIKE THIS - it works!

mj said...

I can't believe the Dr's office.Poor sweet Alex.What wonderful sisters he has to make cards for him.