Monday, October 5, 2009

our mornings...

So, every morning since school began a month and 1/2 ago, I have walked the kids to school. OK...not every SINGLE morning, but pretty darn close. My plan was to drop them off then continue around the neighborhoods with Molly and Margaret. My friend Melissa lent us her jogger which has been a life saver! Shout out to Melissa. :) Anyhow, pretty early into my new fitness routine, we bumped into Michelle and Gavin. They decided to come walking with us. YAY! They now go with us daily except for Tuesdays and rainy days. I love it. I really do. I love Michelle anyhow, but now we have a whole hour together every morning. We can laugh, chat, even gossip if we want...which we don't. I can ask her advice on anything, and she'll give it to me. The kids are great, just don't ask about today. Maybe you were fortunate enough to pass us on the road, me carrying Margaret and Michelle carrying Gavin...mid-tantrum.

This is what Molly and Gavin like to do while we walk. OK, so this one was posed, but the first few times they did it weren't. Michelle and I were near tears from the cuteness. We stop every 20 yards or so for a blanket readjustment, water or cereal breaks, to pick up toys. Interestingly enough though...I'm losing weight. This coupled with my "no eating after 7" rule has led to 5 lbs melting away. I am by no means thin...but I'll get there. Just you wait!

Thank goodness Fridays only come once a week. Those are the days that we make a pit stop at the local gas station and come out with slushees and doughnuts. And you know how I love my doughnuts. We generally pass our friend Shennon (our skinny friend Shennon) just after we shove doughnuts in our faces. Last time, we hid all our treats under our blankets. She'll never know, right?



Sometimes we pick up extra kids along the way. Like Sophie. Sometimes we hang out in my driveway afterwards and let the kids get smeared in sidewalk chalk. It's starting to get ALMOST too cold to walk. Too cold and too dark. We'll have to make new arrangements.

This is Michelle and her baby girl. It's the best she'd let me do. :)
*On a side-note...let me just tell you that walking this morning was a triumph for me. It rained last night, and rain = worms. I had the kids do a worm check in the driveway before we left. They actually picked them up for me and put them in the grass. I can't handle them. The kids just don't get it. They try to explain that the worms won't bite. I realize that, but they WILL get stepped on and get squished into the treads of my sneakers. If that were to happen, I may accidentally bring them into my house, grind them into my carpet. Oh my word. Ew. It was totally mind over matter this morning. I tried really hard to focus on the road WAY ahead. Even then, I still caught a glimpse of quite a few. I just had to turn away really fast.Yuck. Sick. Gross. BLECH.

12 comments:

Christina & Andrew said...

Us our smelly worm issues. They are sick after it rains! I'm so glad you've been enjoying walking in the morning! It sounds pretty fun and entertaining for those passing by.

mj said...

Worms are awful,buy slugs are worse,they are fatter and therefore have more insides to be squished out. I also live the slime line they leave where ever they go.yucky !!

mj said...

I sure got messed up buy=but, live=love

Lisa said...

Mother dear, you crack me up!! I remember walking with 2 friends and our kids did the same thing. I swear we had to stop every 5 minutes to get toys, or drinks or whatever. Then they would try to hold hands if we walked too closely and that lead to near collisions.... good times though.

Jillian said...

I should really get off my butt and go with you guys. :) I was wondering about it being too cold, though. I'm with you on the worms. Yuck!

brittany said...

your worm issues crack me up. i wish i could walk with you in the mornings. we would have so much fun.

Kristin said...

I love that you hate worms. Only because it's you and I love you. You make me smile.

I loved seeing you guys all bundled up this morning--then again, I love seeing you guys every morning. :-) Your waves and smiles make me happier. I'm proud of you though--I am. It can be hard to keep on going and you've done awesome. Even on choir mornings, you get out there. It helps to have a friend to go with. I wish I had been able to do it, but . . . .there's a time and season for all things. Way to go on losing those 5 pounds. That's awesome. you go girl.

Cute pics, BTW.

Jaime Stephens said...

You are so funny, how fun that you have a little walking routine I wish I could join in on the fun, expecially doughnut day that is a weakness of mine too.

MommyMert said...

Everytime I see the worms on my driveway I think of you. :) Glad you and Michelle are enjoying yourself, and you gotta love the Walkers. I also think of you when I see SlimJims. Wow, I am glad we are friends. :)

Michelle said...

I'm so proud of us, too. I'm proud of me. I was telling Kami that if I can walk 2.6 miles every morning I could run a 5k after the baby comes, right? It's just a little more than what we are doing. I hope I can work up to it.

I love our chats. I love seeing you every morning and laughing and even if we have to stop every 5 minutes I still think we are getting in some good burn...though my scale keeps counting upwards...

What will we do when it's cold???

Melissa Yergensen said...

5 pounds, that's so cool! You are lookin' like one hot mama! I love seeing you in the mornings too, you always look like you are having such a good time. I have to say I definitely wish I could join you on doughnut day!

Anonymous said...

I agree that worms are gross! I have to admit that I am a tad bit jealous that you have a walking friend & a good place to walk. Congrats on losing the 5 lbs! I love that you hid your treats from your "skinny" friend...lol. You crack me up!