Tuesday, February 10, 2009

a little alex...

So today, on his way out the door, Alex asked me if he looked like a highschooler. I told him he sure did. He's been asking me that question for years. Maybe it stems from HSM, i'm not really sure. Some days, he doesn't really care, but others...he has to get the look just right. Today it was his highschooler jeans, highschooler shoes, sweatshirt and coat. He's also been toting this book around for the past 24 hours. Today he carried it rather than putting it in his backpack...I think to add to "the look".

He got this book for Christmas, over a year ago. I was wondering when he would become fascinated by it. It happened yesterday. It's an amazing book! Several hundred pages long...a wonderful mystery mixed with gobs of sketches by the author. They are incredible. You could sit and look at the pictures all day. I figured pictures...PLUS a great story...perfect for Alex. When I got it for him, I remember wanting to find a book that would become his favorite...ever. One that he would carry around with him, keep by his bed at night, read over and over again.

Last night, we were all sitting on the couch together, and he asked me if it would be OK if I tickled his back under his shirt. Just like he used to when he looked like this. When he was younger, he would ask me EVERY day after his nap. He would wake up, wander around the house until he found me, and ask me to tickle. It was always while the twins were still asleep, and always a special time, just for the 2 of us. Every once in awhile, he'll request it. It is so sweet. Like it is a huge inconvenience. You don't have to, Mom. Alex has gotten really affectionate lately. He hugs his dad and I all the time. I love it actually. He is almost 10 and hugging his mom every day. He is a nice kid. He has so many friends. People are drawn to him. He's funny and kind. There don't really seem to be any clicks or social classes in the 4th grade. He is friends with everyone. I'm not sure when they start to show their ugly heads, but I'm hoping Alex remains neutral. Friends with all the kids, especially those who may wonder if they have any. I just love him today. Love him.

* and yes...that's exactly what you think it is in his hand. Doesn't he look cute though? Seriously. :)

10 comments:

mj said...

What a wonderful boy.I was going to say little boy, but he isn't that any more.If only he could stay this exciting age...but the sometimes difficult teen years are just another part of God's marvelous plan for us. I really feel that Alex will always be the kind,loving boy he is now. It's his personality and I love it.

Anonymous said...

Oh, your son is adorable. I enjoy my 9 year-olds hugs too. I always think that I better enjoy them now just incase they stop soon.

-FringeGirl

Melissa Yergensen said...

He really is a special guy. I know it's his personality to be sweet and good and kind to others but I happen to think that it probably also has a lot to do with the fact that his mom is that way too. I have a feeling you are going to be in trouble when he gets a bit older ... and not because he will ever get snotty but the girls are going to be calling nonstop!:)

Kristin said...

Love both of those pics--that baby one, he is so darling. Oh I just love little boys!! I really do.

He is a great kid--I hope he and Jonathan are friends forever--me and Alex's mommy could be friends that long too and I wouldn't be sad. :-)

Vanessa said...

Amy, I am so excited to be counted as one of the five posters - THANK YOU! I feel so blessed! I honestly didn't expect it - thank you so much. I will treasure my surprise!
I think you are wonderful and I am always so inspired by your posts and by the beautiful family you are raising! What cute photos of Alex! They are all such special children, they really are!
xxxx

O family said...

Oh man, Alex is cute. It is hard to believe that he is getting so old. How cute is it that he wants to look like he is in high school.

Christina & Andrew said...

Oh gosh, I love him so much. Alex is such a sweet, loving, funny kid. He's smart, and that's one reason he's so funny. I love this post & can't wait to see you all on Friday.

Tami Anderson said...

I love that book. And, yes, I have met the author/illustrator. He was hysterical.

I've always felt bad that I never got to teach your Alex.

Anonymous said...

I remember that cute little guy. What a sweetie he is and that he still wants to kiss you all the time. Boy do i miss that. I'm so glad that i have savannah and addie here to kiss and hug. Hope you have a great vacation . love joice

Michelle said...

That picture of Alex as a little boy looks like Gavin.