
He's 12. My sweet boy is 12 years old. I've learned a lot through being his mom. I'm still learning...and making mistakes along the way. Like this morning when I realized he had lost his fleece jacket. The 3rd jacket I have had to buy because he loses them. He loses things a lot. I get mad and say things i regret. Not mean things, but things that make him sad. There is no taking that stuff back. We had a great talk this morning before Dave took him to school late. I HAD to make it right and talk with him so he didn't spend his day wondering how I felt about him.

I love him intensely. I had been told what it was like to be a mother. How you loved someone more than you ever thought you could. I still wasn't prepared. I was in love with him from the second we met. He was so beautiful. I couldn't understand why the nurses needed to take him to the nursery. I lay awake all night, waiting for them to bring him back.

I have learned that my kids respond to me better when I am tender with them. They love their dad and I. They want to make us happy. They don't want to disappoint us. For years, Alex would plop down by me whenever I was sitting on the couch and ask me to rub his back...under his shirt. Every single day. Several times a day.

There was a time where he would always come looking for me after his nap. He was worried and afraid. He would call out to me. When he found me, he would sit on my lap and relax. It reminded me a lot of our calling out to the Lord. That He is always there.

I have learned the importance of forgiving and apologizing. He always forgives. I love that he will talk to me after we argue. We can discuss things and figure out how to make them better. He is such a sweet, tender, loving boy.

Alex is a crazy kid. He makes people happy. He's really nice. I try to help him understand how much his kindness affects people. I think he gets it.


He had his interview with the Bishop on Sunday. The one where he is found worthy to receive the aaronic priesthood. The Bishop had such good things to say about him. I was ridiculously proud. My eyes watered as I watched him smile and fidget in his chair. He is so excited. I am so happy to be his mom.
*A few things about my 12 year old boy:
- he wanted PB cookies as his birthday cake.
- he loves vanilla ice-cream. Butter pecan too, but mostly vanilla, just like his dad.
- he is a brilliant writer and artist.
- he loves to read.
- he desperately misses his best friend Jonathan.
- he is all about i-tunes. He'll listen to his favorite song on repeat for an hour.
- he loves me and wants to hug me all the time.
- he loves school. He can't wait to play the trumpet next year in the middle school band.
- he still worries about his height. Not as much as he used to though.
- his favorite meal is Italian chicken...the crockpot kind.
- I could tell you a million more things. I'll tell you this...I love him to pieces.
10 comments:
Happy Birthday Alex!!! Alex is pretty awesome, Jordan loves him. In fact just today we saw him at the school, Jordan was yelling at me to hurry and roll down his window so he could say hi to Alex! I can't believe he is twelve:)
I love it sooo much that you got him to take the balloon pictures!!
Alex is so sweet and kind and good. The fact that he is so nice to Marley walking home every day it makes me so happy. That says A LOT about the kind of person he is. He is an amazing boy and I am so excited that he comes to mutual now!
What a great boy. He's so handsome! He's also very lucky to have such great parents.
Those ballon pictures,... Love. He is a gem. He made me giggle at the ward talent show. :) Good kid, Good family.
Love love the balloon pictures. They really show his personality. I can just see him smiling and fidgeting in the chair for his bishops interview. I know the smile that would be on his face. He is so fantastic. He is such a good friend to Jonathan. Jonathan adores him.
Happy Birthday to Alex . . . is he being ordained tomorrow?? Have a wonderful day.
--kristin
I love the balloon pictures. I'm thinking he might now have been thrilled about them :) I can't believe he is 12!!!! I think he is the oldest kid that I remember as a baby...spitting up at the beach house that one summer haha. I love you Alex & hope you had a great birthday!
He was adorable (in the grown-up 12 year old kind of way) in church today.
Geez Alex, you are getting way too old for me. I can't believe you're old enough to pass the sacrament. Were you able to do it last Sunday? I hope your birthday was really special, we love you so much Alex!! aunt Laura and fam
What a sweet kid. Carl and I were talking about him last night, actually. We were talking about my sweet, talented, artistic brother...who I love so so much...who I think Alex reminds me of when I read about him or hear you talk about him. I think this great kid of yours is going to be such a GREAT MAN someday...
I love that Alex. I love how I feel when I'm around him. He has a special little Spirit and God has great things in store for him. He will be a power and influence for good. He'll be strong. He'll bring his friends along. I love that he's 12 now. He'll be a fantastic addition to mutual. Everyone will want to be around him.
Post a Comment