Monday, March 28, 2011

mom AND dad...

So, I spent last week as a single mother. Dave had a business trip of some sort in DC. I do NOT like being home alone. I get scared. I wrack my brain with escape routes for me and the kids should we have an intruder. I get tired. I don't sleep well. Anyhow, I guess I am growing up. Aside from missing him every day, I did pretty well. I really did. Didn't even need a Xanax. Here are a few things I learned:

1. Dave is an amazing father. The best, actually. Sometimes though, he is like one of the kids. When I am trying to quiet things down at bedtime, for example. I had more control over the kids without fun dad here distracting them. :)

2. I can do it all on my own. I'm glad I don't have to, but I can. I realized I ask too much of Dave. While he was away, I did the laundry, the dishes, got kids to appointments, on time to school every day, and even ran in the mornings. I am lazy, and when Dave is around I want him to do half the work. I expect him to. The fact is, I am happy when I'm doing the work. I know that sounds really weird, but as soon as he got home, I wanted him to carry his part of the load and I got grouchy. I think I need to live as though he isn't here, and get it done myself. I know I'm babbling, but it was a very liberating week for me.

3. I like having pre-teens. I wasn't afraid this week. I didn't hear random noises. I didn't have to plan escape routes. I did get a wee bit freaked when my power went out Thursday night as I was popping popcorn. It always does that though, so my brains attempts to have me believe someone had CUT the power didn't work.

4. My kids are amazing.

5. My friends are amazing.

I felt relaxed, calm, and in control. Not that I want him to leave again any time soon though. We love him too much.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Love, love, love those happy faces in that picture. I know what you mean...I usually get more done when Carl's not home and because he's busy a lot lately, I do pretty good. When he takes a couple weeks off, the house goes ka-put...but it's sure nice to have them home, isn't it???

Vanessa said...

LOVE this post! It's wonderful to want someone around because you just love them rather than need them. Of course you need Dave, but you know what I mean. Very very special!

Kristin said...

Man, this post made me feel so much better about myself. I am just like you!! Having Jon go to more conferences since he got this job than he ever did for our entire marriage has taught me some of the same things that you mentioned on your list. I rely on him so much when he is around. Anyhow . . .

And that wonderful, wonderful picture at the top . . .LOVE it. I am missing you.

jamie said...

We seriously need to talk more!! Greg was gone last week also,we should have been hanging out with the kids!

Melissa Yergensen said...

So true! Bedtimes are so much easier when Scott is gone but then I get mad when he is here and not helping me!
And we sure do miss them when they're not home, just can't win, can we? :)

Lisa said...

What the heck??? He's in DC and we don't see him????