I am NOT defined by a clean house. I am not defined by clutter or lack of it. I am not defined by how fast I can run a mile. I am not defined by dishes being clean and laundry being folded. I am not defined by how I presented my YW lesson. I am not defined by how I look. I AM defined by who I am. I am a daughter of God. Always. No matter what. I am defined by my husband and my children. I am defined by how I treat them. I am defined by the kind of people they will become. THAT will define me. And if I am too concerned with de-cluttering, I will miss my opportunity to mold them and shape them and love them.
I feel pulled in SO many directions lately. Too many. I can see it happening. I can see the distractions that Satan tries to put in my path. I know it's him too. As I type this, I am listening to some beautiful "church" music. It is lifting me. My letter from my friend included beautiful thoughts from Patricia Holland about parenthood. They lifted me. I know though, that as soon as I let down my guard, as soon as I allow unimportant things to creep in, I become lost. My mind cannot focus. I feel frustrated. I feel dark. Not depressed, I promise. Just not bright and light and cheery.
Hideko Lee taught a beautiful lesson in RS Sunday. At moments, her soul was speaking to mine. I will serve my little family because I love them. I will fold the clothes, clean the dishes, and leave the clutter, because I love them.
I thank the Lord for putting sisters in my life who remind me how to be happy. Truly happy. How to define myself and remember who I am.



9 comments:
What a wonderful post. As you know, parenthood is HARD, but as you also know it is the most important work you do,and Heavenly Father is ALWAYS there for you. I'm so glad that you have so many great friends.
I love how you say things. Thanks for reminding me of how I am and am not defined. I was troubled by my messy house last night. I barked at my hubby. My oldest heard me and came downstairs, upset because we were fighting. We weren't. Jon was listening to me--loudly--express all my frustrations. So I prayed this morning for some help. And found it here. thanks. :-)
Hideko does give beautiful lessons.
In other news, I am thinking today is Alex's birthday. I can't believe he is 12. And everything it brings. It seems you guys just moved there. Wasn't he 7 when you moved in?
And also can I just tell you how much I LOVE that picture of Margaret on your sidebar. Oh my, she is the cutest little thing.
I miss all you Schofields!!!!
Love you Amy.
I love that beautiful little Schofield family at Disneyland together. :) I love this post so so much. I think, as women, we ALL need that reminder. I think having really great friends and sisters is a gift from the Lord because we can remind each other of that.
Wonderfully put. Hideko's lesson was wonderful. Thanks for the reminder.
This totally made me cry. I feel like I can't get anything done these days...my house is not clean like I want it to be...and I only have 2 kids! Love you Amy, thank for being so open.
So beautiful. I want to be able to write like this. I've been feeling completely overwhelmed lately too. I've been spending too much time working and not enough time loving my kids. I've over extended myself and I feel out of balance. I love church and love love friends who put things in perspective. Heart.
Thanks, Amy, for reminding me what defines us. You are amazing, and although our interactions have been brief, they have been meaningful and good.
I keep thinking about this post over and over. I am so thankful for our friendship and what you teach me.
you are awesome - that is all I have time to write:) love erin
Post a Comment