Sunday was a big day for our family. Alex received the aaronic priesthood, and was ordained to the office of a deacon. He has been talking about this for awhile. Talking about it and anticipating it. When you turn 12, if you are found worthy after an interview with the Bishop, you are given the priesthood. The priesthood. What an amazing power. It has blessed my life so many times. And now my sweet boy has it. Alex totally gets it too. He understands the responsibility, the gift, the power. He tells us he already feels different.
He was called to the podium during sacrament meeting to be sustained. He was also asked to share his testimony. He has a pretty strong conviction about the gospel. I've never heard his testimony sound quite like this...and he shares it a lot. It sounded older. More mature. Maybe it's just me, but he sounded like a priesthood holder. I was really, really proud, and so happy that he sees the importance of this day.
After the meetings were over, we were called into the Bishop's office as a family to witness Alex being ordained. The Bishop had a few wonderful things to say, then Dave ordained my son. It was one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard. Alex is a powerful spirit.
Dave gave Alex a card as we were sitting at the dinner table that night. All I saw was "Congratulations On Your New Job" and I got teary. I am so blessed to have a husband who knows how to make Alex feel important and special. I am grateful for a son who is able to recognize the spirit. Good things from here on out.



6 comments:
What an amazing day!
First of all, I cannot believe that this boy is T-W-E-L-V-E!!!! And you are right, he is special.
Also, I love Dave's card. What the perfect thing to have on the card!
I'm sad I missed his testimony. Congratulations. I love that he feels different...I think too many 12-year-olds these days don't think much about it. So you know you have a gem when he gets it.
Amy . . . seriously. Wow. I am so glad I read this today. It totally lifted me up. What an incredible boy. I only hope my boys "get it" when it is there turn. I love that he said he feels different. So awesome. I love that he respects it and understands how special the priesthood is. I love that they can be prepared to someday hold the higher priesthood. That they have this time to learn and grow in their responsibilities. I love that Dave gave him a card. And I love that picture of him at the beach. I am so proud of him. So happy for you and Dave. Alex, you rock. Love all of you.
Just wait until he passes the sacrament. I was teary when my boys did it for the first time. Such a wonderful thing.
Amy, you make me happy; you make me hopeful; you make me understand myself. Thanks for your great blog. xoxoxoxo Aunt Jane
Post a Comment