
Alex graduated from the 6th grade today. It's a big deal around here. They have a pretty lengthy ceremony, awards, musical numbers. I am really proud of him. As they were awarding the Kiwanis club awards, President's club, etc., I started to get a little anxious. Alex does really well in school, but definitely not as good as he could if he really applied himself. I listened as the parents of the top 4 children gushed about their kids, the same 4 children that seemed to win everything. They should gush, they really should. And they should be proud. I realized though, that unless you are at the VERY top, you are just average. Thrown into one big lump. I saw a little girl waiting for her name to be announced as they were calling down kids in the President's club. Her name was never called. She and about 6 others were left sitting there. Education is hugely important, I KNOW it is. Excellence needs to be applauded. But, isn't there some way to recognize everyone? For athleticism, respect, kindness, whatever they seem to excel at? Anyhow, those are my thoughts today. There needs to be some way that they can all feel validated and important.

Can you sense the excitement?

Alex and his sweet teacher, Mr. Jeppesen.

Alex and his pal Matthew. He has such nice friends. There are so many good kids at this school. I hope they can find a way to continue that goodness as they head to junior high.
Way to go Alexander Joel Schofield! We love you! We are proud of you. You are a wonderful boy. Really, really wonderful.
10 comments:
Congrats to Alex. I agree with you Amy....there needs to be something for all....but....excellence needs to be rewarded also....so, I don't have the answer.
O no no your Alex is NOT headed to jr. High!! Seriously I dont believe it! He's so handsome! I enjoyed your post about Molly.. I hear you on hard kids! Your so great joice and I need a visit from you!
i can't believe he's going to junior high! wasn't it just yesterday we were playing with him in nursery? how does the time go by so fast?
I don't necessarily agree that everyone should get an award for something. As hard as it is for some of the children to not get acknowledged, it is part of life. I know I will be so sad for Gavin if he feels bad because he doesn't get an award for something, but he will have to learn to cope with it & that will hopefully help him cope later in life. Does that make sense? I'm not saying it will be easy, but life isn't always easy, ya know?
No, I agree. They don't all need an award, those are for the BEST. But, acknowledgement of some sort. I guess the really good teachers probably already do that in the classroom. It is hard to see children, sometimes your own, try really hard, but end up mediocre. I try really hard to tell my children a lot that they are wonderful people. You could just see in the faces of some of the kids the other day, that they were so sad. And to be honest, 34 kids in the class makes it pretty hard for the teacher to help everyone excel. They are really busy. I guess that really is MY job.
The guy from the Kiwanis club actually had ALL the 6th graders stand after the top 4 were recognized, and had us clap, calling them the "hope of America". I loved that.
I know your feelings there...I worry about that just within my own children as they get older. And you've expressed some of that before. How do you teach that someone else's strength is NOT your weakness? I don't know. It's just plain hard. But...I must say that I don't think kids can get any better than Alex...he's uniquely, sincerely beautifully good.
Amy, what are the ribbons around Alex's neck?
He got one for math scores, one for language arts, and one for science. Braided yarn. They were awesome. :)
Oh Alex, we are so proud of you. Proud of the young man you already are. You have such integrity, really. We love you and are proud of all of your accomplishments. aunt laura and fam
Congratulations Alex! A part of me wishes we could have shared this day with you. :)
I read what Alex wrote on his blog about graduating when I was opening up his blog for jonathan. He is such an incredible boy, Amy. I am so, so grateful he is Jonathan's friend. He is a great example. Thank you for raising such an awesome kid.
Post a Comment