Saturday, May 7, 2011

mom...

I was reminded of something the other day by some friends. They were telling me what they were doing for their mom's for the big day. I realized I hadn't bought a single gift to send to mine. I have grown selfish over the years. I know that sounds pretty rough, but let me explain why.
Last year, my Mother's Day was a doozy. I made it that way. I really did. Things were not going exactly how I wanted, the meal wasn't up to my expectations, the kids were being too loud for me. Me, me, me. When did this day become about me? When did I forget that it is really all about MY mother?

Holidays/birthdays get really exhausting for mom's. Let's be honest here. We do most of the prep work, the shopping, the planning. As sweet and wonderful as my husband is, the big days are all me. They wear me out. Quite often, I feel like I've failed. Like I didn't make them special enough for my kids. Like I didn't create enough memories/traditions. I'm just plain tired when they are over. Really tired. SO...when it is my birthday or Mother's Day, I want some VIP treatment.

Here is where I'm missing something. Sure, June 22nd should be about ME, it's the day I was born. But Mother's Day is about others. It is about my sweet mother, Dave's mom, Grandma Bird, the wonderful women surrounding me in my life. It is not about MY dinner, MY relaxing day, MY gifts, but rather how I can show my mom how dear she is to me.

Tomorrow, I will spend the day thinking about the women I love. The women who have shaped and molded me. Women like Barbara Badell, Dixie Archibald, Venice Bird, Reenie Von Stetten, my sisters, but most importantly Mary Jane Temple, my mom. My mom helped create me, and has been molding me into the person that I am today ever since. Her influence is everywhere in my life. It's in my laugh. It's in how I treat people. It's in how I serve at church. It's in my passion for beautiful things. It's in my testimony.

My mom is fun. She loves to laugh. She is really nice. She knows just how to make everyone feel important. She always seemed to know how to make me feel better when I was growing up...whether it was stomach pains, anxiety about school, or a broken heart. Her hands rubbing my back to this day seem gentler than any one else's.

I love my mom. I'm thankful for all she has given me. For all she has taught me. Happy Mother's Day!

*The picture at the top is my mom with #5,6,7&8. Bet you can't tell which one is me. :)

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Loved this post! I love you. You are a great mom and a great woman. Happy Mother's Day!

Rachel said...

Mother's Day stresses me out, it really does...I loved this post. I needed it. I love you for sharing these things and making me feel a little better about my imperfections. :)

Sharene said...

Your mom is wonderful and YOU are a wonderful mom. I'm still going to try to talk you into writing a book. I LOVE the way you write and I think you could touch a lot of women with your words. I know you touch me!

dixie said...

I'm honored to be mentioned in your blog. YOU are an amazing mom and woman and have been a great example to me as long as I have known you. Thank you for continuing to inspire me! A really beautiful post.