Tuesday, July 6, 2010

our days in dover...

Good grief...I love Delaware. I really do. It holds all of my childhood memories. Before the week at the beach (an hour south), we generally spend a few days in Dover at my parent's house. I love their house. My house. I love all it's creaks and smells. The stone path out to the driveway, that I've walked countless times. The boxwood bushes lining the front of the house. My mom's perfect knick-knacks in every single corner.

My Dad's birthday was the day after we arrived. We thought it would be fun to take some balloons to his work and let the kids sing and surprise him. Holy cow...was he surprised! And SO happy. Totally worth breaking the law by squeezing 5 kids in the backseat. :)

He took Alex home with him...with the top down, balloons flying. He loved those darn things. Like they were the first ones he ever got. He kept talking all day and night about how this was the best birthday he could ever remember. That made me beyond happy. He was like a kid. A 75 year old kid. :)

Tied to the car after arriving home.

Tied to his chair in the backyard. :) See what I mean? He kept telling us to look at them, like we hadn't noticed yet.

Waiting for butterflies. There were a few really insane butterflies in their yard just before dusk. Flying really fast, in really wild patterns, landing on the kids. By the end of our trip, Lizzy had caught one! They would get SO close, then Charlotte would run over and scare them away. It was a riot!

The Temple house sits right on Silver Lake. A dirty, disease infested, floating fish, but beautiful- lake. We always head over to the park to feed the ducks, swing, slide, watch for turtles, and sweat.



The inflatable pool in the backyard entertained the kids for a few days. Way to go Laura...putting all that time and energy into blowing the darn thing up. :)


Walks with Grandpa around the block...wearing dress-ups. We talk about trees, leaves, look for 4 leaf clovers. It's very peaceful...and something I look forward to every visit.


Surely you've never been to Dover, but I promise...you'd like it. It's home.

11 comments:

Christina & Andrew said...

This makes me miss it so much there! It really is that great.

mj said...

You forgot to mention that it was hot, hot, hot !!! We are so lucky to live in this beautiful town. I love almost everything about it,especially when you kids come home.

MommyMert said...

Look at all those beautiful girls. :) Perhaps one day I will go and see how great this place is.

April Kennedy said...

We love Dover and want to go visit the place that we called home when we were newlyweds again. On our last visit, we stayed in the Temple House too!!

And I can totally picture Laura determined to blow up that swimming pool!

sarahandmatt said...

Dover is a beautiful place. Your family is so wonderful. I love that your Dad was crazy about the balloons! He is such a sweet man and a great uncle to Matt.

O family said...

Dover is such a great place... well, the memories from our childhood spent there are great :) (and the people that still live there!) I love the pictures of Grandpa with his balloons!

brittany said...

love the pics. love that your dad loved his balloons, love that you got to go!

Michelle said...

It looks simply serene.

Sharene said...

Wow, now I really want to go to Delaware. You are so eloquent with your words. Maybe I will get to see you again. I think it has been close to 6 weeks since I have seen you! I miss you.

Kristin said...

that's the cutest thing, your dad and those balloons. Like his car too. That one picture of the blue popsicle is awesome. Never been to Dover. I just might have to try it out someday, though.

Payne said...

What a great shot of handsome Uncle Joel sitting in his chair with the baloons! Amy, I can smell your house right now...those boxwood bushes...every time I smell a boxwood bush I am taken to your home in Dover. That is the best house. It looks like you had the best vacation ever. So glad you loved it! My fav pic of all is still the one of you 4 younger girls. I love that.