Friday, April 16, 2010

be available...

Read this beautiful thought in an interview with Michael J. Fox the other day. I always knew I loved that guy.

{Always be available to your kids.
Because if you say, "Give me five minutes,
give me ten minutes," it'll be 15, it'll be 20.
And then when you get there,
the shine will have worn off
of whatever it is they wanted to share with you.
I've never gotten up to see something
one of my kids wanted to show me
and not been rewarded.}
I want to always be available. I felt like my parents were always available to me. I can remember many times, walking back to my Dad's study, needing him, but catching him in the middle of something. He would always put it down. That made me confident. Secure. It made me feel loved and treasured. I want that to be me. I think we always need to be willing to stop what we are doing if someone needs us. It will wait. Whatever we are in the middle of will wait.

11 comments:

April Kennedy said...

if you asked my kids what is the most common phrase mommy says, it would be...."just a minute".

thank you for that beautiful post. I can't wait to put it into action THIS afternoon as soon as they are home from school.

(But does it count when they are needing a towel or waiting to be washed in the bathtub....cuz I kind of like those few minutes I have alone?!)

brittany said...

good quote, great post. you are an amazing mom and your kids sure are lucky to have you. love you :)

michelledoodads said...

Thanks for this. It's a great reminder. I say, "just a second" a lot around here. And now, Gavin says all the time, "One second!" A reminder I need to be a more available mom.

sarahandmatt said...

Thanks for that, Amy. You always have short, sweet insight.

O family said...

Great post Amy- It is true that life is too short to put off fun, cute things. As parents we should strive to never make our kids take the back burner.

emlizalmo said...

I don't think you ever do, Michele. I was actually going to mention you on here, and the way that you mother Quinn. :)

Ryan + Jess said...

beautiful...just what I needed to hear :)

Rachel said...

Oh, how I need this reminder every morning. Maybe something on a little card on the dresser...I don't know. It's something I always think about going to bed...I should have STOPPED what I was doing today and just LISTENED or LOOKED. What a great thought.

Kristin said...

Read that interview of him. Good one. And that part stuck out to me too. thanks for the reminder.

Tami Anderson said...

I love this. I'm going to steal it for my blog in the near future. I hope that's okay.

I got to thinking, what if teachers could be more available? Sure, with 23 students it would be hard...but, not impossible. My new goal will be to try to be more available to my children at school.

mj said...

Wonderful hought ! I wish I had always been immediately available for all of you...you (all of you) are the most important things in my life,how could I ever have let something else come first?