Monday, January 11, 2010

holidays...

Our holidays were everything I'd hoped for. They started with a quickie photoshoot in the freezing cold snow. I had just taken some darling pictures for my friend Melissa an hour earlier. I was jealous of them to be quite honest. I had to have some of my own. I ran home, threw together whatever hand-me-downs I could round up, and out we went. As we were leaving the house, I found myself wishing I was one of those "buy a new dress and tie for each kid, every holiday" kind of moms. Oh well. We made it work. The light, dusty, falling snow had turned into snowrainslush. Let's just say the kids weren't loving it. But they love me, so they did it. After that first shot, I begged for some cooperation and forced smiles, with promises of hot chocolate and treats. They delivered. :)

I think the kids got everything they'd dreamed of. I now understand my parents always telling us they didn't really want "things" for Christmas. I've turned into one of those people. I just want my sweet kids to be happy. Their joy brings me joy right back. So much joy. I anticipated Christmas morning for weeks. I had shopped my little heart out. Saved all my money from photoshoots (which was quite a bit. I pay my tithing, and I think that is why I was blessed with so much business). I toted around a little blue notebook for the entire month, reading and re-reading their lists, wondering how they would react to each and every gift. I couldn't sleep the night before. They couldn't either. Dave says they were up at 12:45 ready to go...I slept through that part. :)

Things I want to remember:

*Molly receiving her squishy eyeball. She's asked Santa for one, and what do you know... Lizzy had an extra. :)

*The faces of Emily, Lizzy, and Alex when they opened their i-pods. Each got their very own, charged and filled with 50 of their favorite songs. Dave found them refurbished through Apple. 30 dollars each! Woohoo! They COULD NOT believe it! THAT brought me joy.

*Having our dear, sweet baby Margaret with us. The kids loved helping her unwrap each gift. She didn't really care much for any of it. In time, my dear, in time.

*Alex as our Santa helper. He LOVED it. He went out back with Dave to "fetch the stockings", but really rang the jingle bell belt that each year sends the kids to bed in 2 minutes flat! After they retired, he came back up and helped us place all the gifts. He was about to explode with excitement. He couldn't keep his feet on the ground. He kept telling me how happy he was...how fun it was. It was pure joy. Intense feelings of peace and happiness for me as his Mom.







Whew. Back inside in our nice, warm house. :)


I have so much more to say, so much more I want to remember. I just don't know the right forum. Don't want to forget a single detail. <3>

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love all the pictures Amy, of course. They are beautiful.

I need to write down our memories too--before I forget.

Great post.

--Kristin

Rachel said...

Goodness, those pictures make me melt. I don't think Margaret could get ANY sweeter, could she?! I know what you mean about the best gift being the joy of your kids. Christmas doesn't get REALLY magical until you receive that.

Christina & Andrew said...

Those pictures are BEAUTIFUL! I love your family so much! So glad you had a great break.

MommyMert said...

Such cute pictures... they look very cold though! :) Love all the memories.

Vanessa said...

Gorgeous! And so well coordinated ;) (who needs new clothes every holiday?). Alex is looking older, less like a little boy and more like a young adult... what a sweet older brother. Makes me happy to see your family pictures! :)

brittany said...

i love these!

Lady said...

Amy - You take such nice photos. I wish I lived closer. Promise me you'll do another Henrichsen shoot this summer when we are out there.

mj said...

Wonderful post, wonderful pictures, wonderful memories, wonderful family.

Lisa said...

These pictures are absolutely stunning. I LOVE them.