This picture was taken about a year and 1/2 ago, but I just wanted to talk about these kids. Ally, Emily, Matthew, Jonathan, Alex and Elizabeth. Half of them belong to Kristin (actually more than half if you count little Cortney peeking through :)) and half of them belong to me. They are dear friends. They love eachother intensely. They fight, tease, get feelings hurt, but they love eachother. This morning I was driving them all to choir practice at the school. We have the primary CD for this years sacrament presentation in the car. The first song on it is I Know That My Savior Loves Me.* I have listened to them learning it for the past month. I love it. Molly asks for it for opening AND closing song for FHE. We listen to it on repeat in the car. It's message is sweet and so true.
This morning it came on and I suggested that the kids sing it. I told them it would start their day off wonderfully. It was silent for a second, then I heard my girls start to sing. Within a few words, they had all joined in. I was completely overcome with emotion. I was driving and crying. I couldn't believe they sang it. And they didn't whisper, they actually sang. For 30 brief seconds, I feel like I was transported. I felt like the van was about to burst being too full of these beautiful little spirits. They started getting a bit silly by the second verse, but for that brief moment, the spirit was there. In my mini-van filled with 6 rowdy kids. I love them. Of course I love my own, but I love the Frey's too. All six of them are good, valiant children. I'm anxious to see what the Lord has in store for them. Whatever it is, I'm sure they can handle it. They can handle anything, especially together.
The music that these kids learn in Primary is the basis for their testimonies. The songs are simple, repetitive, and beautiful. They teach perfect gospel truths. I am so grateful for the music, for Sister Gulbrandsen and Sister Call (the music leaders in our ward primary).
Lizzy sings like an angel. Her voice is soft and pure. Sometimes I will play the piano just so she will come sit by me and sing in my ear. I think all the children sound gorgeous when they sing, even when they are off pitch a bit, but Lizzy...oh, Lizzy. If there is a sound in heaven, it's her sweet little voice, bearing testimony through song.
The gospel is true. One way I know, is how I feel when I sing or hear these songs. A burning. A warmth. Peace. Tears.
*Not my kids singing, by the way.



7 comments:
I love to hear children sing.There is nothing more heart warming than hearing those sweet voices sing primary songs. I'm so thankful for music and for children,and when you put the two together it is truely a bit of heaven.
I can't wait until Gavin can sing - really sing. I love the primary program. My favorite week of the year.
Oh, I loved this! I have a story about Ethan and that very same song. He LOVES it - and repeats the "My heart I give to Him. I know that my Savior loves me." He LOVES primary...he LOVES singing and music. I think he's exactly where he needs to be right now. I love what primary can do for these tender kids.
I could not agree that children singing is one of the best sounds in the whole world. That is why I love my calling so much! I love your children and the Freys. They are such great singers and when they do not sing, the other kids do not sing as loud! They are all great kids. Thank you for this post. It brought tears to my eyes.
Oh what a wonderful story. I want you to know I love your kids too. They are like extensions of ours. They are fantastic children and I am so glad my kids can be friends with such great kids. Those pictures you took that summer day are so fun--great memories. Thank you for sharing this--it made me smile. Love the song too.
You are so sweet! I needed that today. Thanks, Amy.
So sweet! Nothing brings in the spirit more than music. Amy, have you heard of Paul Cardall? I really think you'd like his Primary Worship CD. Check it out. Someone gave it to me right when I had Clayre and we played it all the time during those first few weeks when Clayre arrived. So special. Love your blog.
Post a Comment