Monday, January 25, 2010

ham neem neem...

Family Home Evening. FHE. Ham neem neem as sweet little Emmy used to say. Growing up, I don't think my parents ever missed a single week. Our teenage eyes would be rolling, we'd murmer, complain, revolt, but we still had it. I realize now, as a parent, just how crucial it is. We've struggled with it though. Let's be real honest. It's tough when it's just 2 of you, or 2 of you with lots of little babies. Many Monday nights would roll around, and I would panic. Shoot! We don't have anything planned. Let's drive to Sonic for slushies and read a scripture on the way. Sound good? We meant well. We really did. But preparation eluded us.

I made this FHE do-dah years ago at a Super Saturday. I bet you have one just like it. Where is yours? Ours was collecting dust in the toy room. For 5 years. The kids kept asking when we'd hang it up. I put it, and them, off. A few months ago, after the girls went to a stake Activity Days program, I was re-inspired. I hung that baby up, and things have never been the same. We hold Family Home Evening weekly. Without fail. Complete with a lesson, songs, prayers, a scripture, activity, and a treat. Tonight we have the pleasure of hearing Molly teach. I love it. The kids love it. Dave and I have such a responsibility to raise these children well. To teach them gospel truths. FHE is part of that. These sweet kids are like sponges. They absorb what we say. They believe what we say. That is so beautiful to me. Last week they all bore their testimonies. If we keep filling them with truth and light, maybe there won't be enough room for darkness.

9 comments:

April Kennedy said...

Ok...off to go find mine and hang it up too! Thanks for the boost.
But we might have to do Sonic tonight (for dessert....a 20 minute drive) just because you mentioned it!

MommyMert said...

Aha! Inspiring me yet again. We have done better, not near good enough. This week. This week. :)

Lisa said...

I had a few of these. The last one I never completed. :-( You are so right though, kids your kids' ages soak it all up. And they really love FHE too. I remember once David complaining because ours was too short. (needless to say, he wasn't a teenager when he made that comment. ) I chuckled when I read about reading a scripture in the car. I think we're all guilty of something similar....

sarahandmatt said...

You inspire me, Amy! We always have it, but I can't promise no one gets a spanking during it (or during the prayer for that matter). I figure, if we keep on plugging, we're bound to get it someday!

Kristin said...

Wow--I love that last line. That was profound. And oh how I hope it is true--though I have to say, it only makes sense that it is true since where there is light, darkness cannot be.

Rachel said...

Oh, I want to take that last sentence and plaster in it vinyl somewhere on my wall - can I have your permission? :) I need to do better. My crafty thing is up, but is collecting dust on the wall, sadly. We've been bad so far this year...thanks for inspiring me to improve, as always.

Michelle said...

I love you and I love your blog, Amy. I love how you make things so real and make me want to live in your house 24-7. I love it. I wish I could have seen Molly's lesson. Bet it was adorable.

Lady said...

We have a very similar board I made last year. Our kids love it and get very upset if the names are not moved by the next week. They ALWAYS know what they did the week before and they make sure we have rotated. Luckily I married a man that came from a family that was extremely committed to weekly home evening. We have done a pretty good job even though many weeks I feel too tired or feel that we stay up too late on Mondays to fit it all in. But I had to feel great last week when Ainsley asked me what her favorite day of the week was - of course I guessed Friday or Saturday and she said, "No, It's monday because I love family home evening" even though I feel like she's never paying attention - she loves it and she feels loved. So we'll keep doing it!!

Payne said...

I might be the only one who doesn't have one! I need to get (or make one). You're such a fantastic mom, even reading on the way to get slushies!