
I've just finished rocking the baby to sleep. She cooed at me for at least 10 minutes. I would talk, she would coo. Whisper...coo. I don't know that there is a sweeter sound in all the world. Maybe a baby's laugh...we aren't there quite yet. Her coo is the softest, airiest, smoothest sound. I could fall asleep to a CD full of it. Like I said the other day, I think I am now being rewarded for a tough first few months. I realize this is just the natural development of babies, but I'm pretty sure the Lord knew what he was doing.
I remember a friend's thoughts that she shared years ago. She talked about one of her grown daughters who had just had a baby. She wondered why she wasn't feeling the butterflies, "I'm in love with this little person" feelings. Her mother promised her that as time went on, and she cared for and served this baby, those feelings would come. I think there is a lot of truth to that. I had those good feelings in the hospital and most every day since, mixed with some not so great feelings. I've been anxiously awaiting where we are right now. I knew the time would come. That she would sort out how to cope. That she would smile. That she would try to speak to me. That is partially what gave me the patience. She is now sleeping 7+ hours at night. She is crying less...SO much less. I know there are tantrums, sassing, tears in the future. I know there are. But I'm just loving today. I think struggling through the screaming, the diapers, the spit-up...I think all of it makes you love them more. They NEED to be dependent those first few months. They need to so that we HAVE to serve. We have to think outside of ourselves. We have to plan everything around the baby. We have to rush home early from things to tend to the baby. You love those you serve. It holds true at church, in the world, and in our homes. Serving strengthens relationships. Taking care of Margaret has made me fall in love.
*Tomorrow I will write the story of her birth...before I forget.



9 comments:
beautiful picture...beautiful words....beautiful grand-daughter....beautiful daughter. THANKS.
You just know how to say everything so beautifully. This is so true. It's not hard to imagine why Christ loves us SO MUCH...he has, does and will ever keep SERVING us. Being a mother certainly teaches us to be more Christlike.
How true those words are! And how forgotten the sentiment is in this world in which we seek to 'get back', to receive gratification. I'm reading an LDS book called 'The Mother in Me' at the moment and I love it! I have no doubt that you have read it already, but your entries and this one in particular should really be published in something like that in my opinion. The recognition of the difficulties is rare and poignant and makes the love all the more palpable and real.
Thank you for sharing, as ever, Amy! xxx
I love this Amy--I love thinking about mothering as service---and how we love these little people the Lord has given us. She is a beautiful little girl. I agree-those cooing sounds are wonderful. Also, thanks for the book recomendation--definitely going to read it. And beautiful blessing pictures. The family pictures are darling and she looks so lovely in her white dress. Glad it was a good day.
--kristin
what a darling baby girl, I love your thoughts amy. glad to hear things are getting better.
Thank you for this post. I had to read that we have to go through all this to learn to serve. I don't think I ever thought of it that way. Thank you for helping me learn to serve better as a mother! I love your blog!
So sweet. I love the little blue dress, did it come from Mexico?
I love it. You can articulate words so beautifully. I totally agree about the serving. That is why I want to help you out if you need me with the crying thing. I need to serve others especially right now since I feel terrible most of the time and I think it would help me feel better to serve others.
Amy, this is so incredibly sweet, tender and true. I hope to remember to read this entry when I have my next sleepless night with a newborn. Love you. Love Margaret.
Post a Comment