I've heard it said that being a mother is like being pecked to death by a chicken. I have always thought that sounded so ridiculous. Today I feel pecked. What's for lunch? Peck. Peck. Peck. Can I have a snack? Peck. I'm bored? Peck. Mommy, the baby is crying. I'm hungry. Can we have a slumber party? Can we make friendship bracelets? Can Ally come and play? What fun thing can we do today? Peck.Peck.Peck. I don't have much to give today. I told Dave when he got home that I need to feel like I am not needed. Just for a little while. Then I realized that all I need is this:
I don't really want to be unneeded (if that word even exists). It feels good to have someone need you. It feels great, actually...just tiring. A few minutes ago, I went back into the bedroom and rocked my swaddled little baby. Her eyes stared into mine. She smiled. She cooed. And she relaxed me. Rocking her is kind of my escape. My quiet refuge. Things slow down for those few minutes. It's just Margaret and me. The Lord knows what he is doing. Giving can fill you up. When you feel empty, try to give a little more...or come over and rock my baby.



12 comments:
What sweet, sweet pictures. Both of them. Margaret is growing so fast. So beautiful. They all are.
thanks for sharing your thoughts. I love reading about your small moments--the day to day that you are experiencing. I love knowing we are going down similar paths--that's why women need other women. It keeps us realizing we are all in this together. :-)
Enjoy your cute niece! I bet she is in heaven.
--kristin
don't you love little babies?! I am so exhausted! (I haven't slept through the night for 6 months--neither has Norah) Somehow, though, I never mind tending to her in the middle of the night. She's too cute to get mad at!
sorry that was me. I think the chicken must have come to my house today too. I feel pecked.
I love that comment about women needing other women - it is so very true. I believe in the special bond between women - it is a beautiful gift that God has given.
And sweet Margaret is such a beautiful smiley girl!
Amy your such an amazing person and mother!
Once again your post made me cry. Even tho it was years ago, I still can remember that pecked feeling....fortunately, I can also remember thore treasured moments rocking one of you and seeing right into your soul. That is pure joy.
I love that she brings you peace...I love that she's over the "hard part" and can provide that much-needed escape. She is so beautiful and innocent. The Lord really DOES know what He's doing...ALWAYS.
That is SUCH a sweet picture. 6 is a lot, but you can do it!
You're such a great mom. I love you so much, and I can't wait to rock that baby!
Amy, I hope your blog still exists years from now so when I have more kids I can go back and read all these posts. You have an amazing ability to see all the joy through all the fatigue and pecking. Thanks for your example. Love you. I really hope we can see you all soon. The Paynes might head out to Utah in October so we'll make sure to let you know.
Wow I think you got the perfect picture right there of Margaret! It brought tears to my eyes! I loved reading your posts. It makes me want to be a better person. Ever think of writing a book?
Post a Comment